Clear all

stripped problem

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

does anyone have any ideas on how to get a stripped nail out? im trying to put on strap locks and i cant get the nail out cause its stripped? any ideas?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Where exactly are you removing a nail from?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the back where the strap goes, i cant get it out

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm having a hard time visualizing where a nail might be. Are you saying your strap was nailed to your guitar???

Anyway, if the head is stripped off the nail and you can't get it out with a claw hammer (use a towel between that and the guitar to protect the finish!) try some pliers.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i cant get to the nail, thats the problem, the nail is on the body of the guitar where the back strap goes

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'm assuming you mean a stripped screw, not nail. Can you get a locking wrench around the head of the screw? If so you should be able to rotate (unscrew) it using the wrench. Another option would be plier. At the very least DON'T pull it out, you'll crack the finish for sure. If you bring it to a hardware store (any local store, not Home Depot) they will surely take it out for you.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, I'm sure it is a screw. If you can get ahold of it with pliers that is the way to go. I had a head to a screw break clean off once. I placed the strap lock screw right next to the embedded one and it didn't show. Still, if you can get the thing out that is best. Also if the hole ends up too big for your strap lock screw you might need to plug it first. I use a piece of tooth pick and some wood glue to fill the hole. I let it dry then put the new screw in. A tech might drill and dowel it but I find tooth picks work great. All those screws seem to be different sizes. I am jumping ahead though, good luck getting that screw out.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

see thats the problem i cant get to it with pliers

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why can't you get to it or simply unscrew it? What happened?

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the screw is stripped meaning there is nothing for the screwdriver to hold on to as its unscrews, so basically i cant turn the screw

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Listen to the Dali - he is correct!

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Use a drill bit and drill that is a little bigger than the shank of the screw and drill just the head off! Then when you get the strap button off, grab the shank of the screw with a pair of pliers or vise-grips and screw the remainder of the screw out! Don't pull it out, you'll do more damage and, also, if you're not sure take it to someone who does, most music stores offer some sort of service and a problem like this is pretty common.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Use a drill bit and drill that is a little bigger than the shank of the screw and drill just the head off! Then when you get the strap button off, grab the shank of the screw with a pair of pliers or vise-grips and screw the remainder of the screw out! Don't pull it out, you'll do more damage and, also, if you're not sure take it to someone who does, most music stores offer some sort of service and a problem like this is pretty common.

Perfect!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

What Racetruck1 suggests is perfect - as long as the strap button is still there.

If you're talking about a situation where the screw snapped off level with the body of the guitar - and the button already came right off - then it's a different story. Us engineers have a technical term for when then happens with that sort of fastener - it's called "you're screwed..".... :P

If that is the case it's much harder to get out, but still possible. However, before attempting anything I would tape off a spot that was a little smaller than the area that will be covered by the new strap lock. If any probing, easing, gouging or scratching is to be done then make sure it will be hidden later. :shock:

Good luck,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

There is a procedure for removing screws that break off level with the wood, it calls for using a plug drill bit, its actually a hollow drill bit that cuts a solid plug from around the screw, then you fill the hole with a plug of wood. I make my own bits but this is probably more effort than it is worth if you don't do this everyday.

If it is broke off flush with the wood, just drill a hole next to it and reinstall the screw for the button. Problem solved!

I use the plug bits in repairs where I can't redrill a hole, neck screws, bridge mounting screws, pickup mounting screws, etc... Other than that, I just get the new screw as close as I can.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2