Clear all

The control pots on my effects pedal seem too loose? =[

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@monkeyisland2)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a control pot stiffer as it's incredibly annoying in live situations, when i go to stomp on a pedal and the settings change. I know i could go out and probably replace these pots but it seems like quite alot of effort and there is nothing wrong with them other than they spin a little too easily.

Cheers =]

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

the rotational resistance of a pot is pretty much determined by what's inside, and that's not really "user adjustable." replacement would be easier if you went to the trouble to take it apart (and then probably give up and replace it anyway).

assuming you are not talking about the pot attached to a volume pedal or wah-wah or other expression pedal, but just the regular top-of-the-pedal setting knobs, you might be able to do a kludge fix for this. if the knob attaches very firmly (does not pop off the pot shaft too easily), maybe you can insert something onto the pot shaft between the knob and the pedal body to create a bit of staying power = friction. possibilities are a felt ring, a foam ring, a rubber grommet (cut or shaved to needed thickness), a helical spring. a foam ring seems most promising -- easy to find and shape and easy to replace.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@monkeyisland2)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply, thats a great idea to stick something between the base of the knob and chassis. I had a quick try with a bit of tissue.. it didn't work as the surface between the knob and tissue is pretty frictionless. But thanks for the idea will use something like foam as you suggest. =D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

maybe you can insert something onto the pot shaft between the knob and the pedal body to create a bit of staying power = friction. possibilities are a felt ring, a foam ring, a rubber grommet (cut or shaved to needed thickness), a helical spring. a foam ring seems most promising -- easy to find and shape and easy to replace.
+ 1. Most of my "fixes" end up something like this! I am a master at "kludge fixes"! :lol:
The good part about it is that they are pretty much permanent fixes, they work well.

Do as gnease suggested; I would probably take the pedal to my local Ace hardware & have a look in those awesome parts/hardware bins, at the felt/rubber discs, etc. I am sure you can find something "workable" there!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

When you're at the hardware store, look in the plumbing department for O rings. Find one that slips over the movable part of the shaft tightly, and try that.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@monkeyisland2)
Topic starter  

Will do, thanks for all the replies :)

ReplyQuote