Truss rod adjustment

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

I posted this a few minutes ago, but can't find it, so I'll try again.

I'm changing strings on my strat tonight. Putting .010's for the fist time. I know I'll likely need to adjust the truss rod, but not sure which way. Any ideas?

Also, wondering how so to adjust it and how long the adjustment takes to affect the tone?

Thanks

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey 1st Act,

I just put 10's on mine.. 1st time.. usually had 9's on there.

I don't think I need to adjust at all.. I don't notice the action getting any higher, but what I'm going to do it let it settle in over night, then see tomorrow if the action rises at all.

If in case you don't have all 5 springs on your trem..like I do. You could add another string and or screw in those two big wood screws into your body a few turns more to "Re-settle" the bridge.

Just a thought... :D :D 8)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dont mess with the truss rod.
your gauge change does not warrant the adjustment.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

dont mess with the truss rod.
your gauge change does not warrant the adjustment.

I didn't think so... and now that my Strat has 'settled' over night, I don't need to adjust anything... at least mine is fine. I do however, have 5 springs in the trem block so my bridge stays flat against the body.

Also the strings rest down in my nut just fine -vs- riding a little high cuz the grooves are not cut wide/deep enough for the larger gauge strings, no filing required...and...best of all I don't have any BUZZ.

1st_act, let us know how yours turned out eh? :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So far so good. I changed strings about 10 hours ago. The neck looks straight and every fret sound fine. Definitly a nicer tone too.

All I need now is another 1000 hours practice and I'll be gettin some where...(LOL)

ReplyQuote