truss rod- string height etc

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

Iv'e recently purchased a Fender Toronado and would like to get the string height lowered.It has a a gibson style tunomatic bridge which as far as I can see is about as low as it can go.My question is can the string height be adjusted by adjusting the neck/truss rod in some way. I have no intention of doing it myself but don't want to look a complete tit when I take it to my local guitar tech.

Any help much appreciated.

Heres A pic of the guitar if it helps:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My question is can the string height be adjusted by adjusting the neck/truss rod in some way.
The short answer to that is "No". The truss rod has one function - to adjust the straightness of the neck, so that you get no fret buzz.
You can adjust the angle of the neck, in relation to the body, by adding a shim under the heel of the neck (you have to remove the neck to do this). This will push the headstock further back, towards the rear of the guitar, thereby lowering the the strings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Greybeard.

Been playing for more than twenty years and still manage to learn something new about these things!

playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There's always something new to learn, isn't there?

At one time, Fender sold the 3-point neck mount, rather than the current (and previous) 4-point mount. Intergrated into many (if not all) of the 3 point mounts was a micro-tilt system, to replace the need for shims, just loosen the neck, turn the adjustment screw and re-tighten the neck - basta! There seem to have been any number of problems with it and Fender returned to the tried and tested 4-point mount.
There must be some advantage to a 3-point mount, because Leo Fender redesigned it and used it in his G&L guitars - including the micro-tilt.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Can you add that neck shim to an acoustic too?

interesting...this might be the answer to my prayers!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sure, if you have a bolt on neck.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

OK Nick.....so how do i find that out? I have two yamaha acoustics.

thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Turn the guitar over and look for a plate and four bolts where the neck joins the body. It's very obvious so if you don't see it you don't have one.

ReplyQuote