Clear all

tubes tubes tubes

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm just a beginner. Just looking for some advice on tubes. I have a Fender Hotrod Blues Jr. NOS that it has 2 groovetubes EL84's and 2 sovtek and 1 groovetubes 12ax7's. That's the way that it came from the factory. I like the old blues sounds, like Howlin Wolf, Willie dixon, Muddy Waters and Early Clapton/Guess Who/Zeppelin kind of sound. I also have an Ibanez TS9 for a distortion pedal. My guitar is an epi les paul custom. Has stock epi humbuckers. I do eventually plan to get some gibson pickups. The amp sounds pretty good. I don't want to give the idea that I'm complaining about the sound of the amp. There is some hiss noise when it's idle, I'm just assuming that's common with tube amps? Just wondering if there are tubes that would give a better bluesier/rock sound than the stock tubes? Maybe reduce some of the hiss. Or are the stock tubes just fine?

Anger and sadness are easy....Happiness and passion takes effort

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

A bit of hiss is not a surprise from a tube amp.
It's all part of the charm of those little bottles of tone :wink:
As long as it is much quieter than the guitar sound, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want dead quiet, then solid state is where to look.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

So far, so good, but Ruby tubes would have a nice warm sound, I think.

Then every day, could be Ruby tubes day! :roll: :lol:

http://www.magicparts.com/main.htm

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My favorite blues rig is a Tele straight into my Blues Jr. The low level hiss isn't unusual, especially if you have the amp turned up fairly high.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote