Skip to content
Volume control very...

Notifications
Clear all

Volume control very weird, also other strange noises..

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@theron)
Topic starter  

Hello all! Hope evryone started of with a good year ^^

Well, i finaly bought the V-Amp2 processor so i could use it with my guitar (its not a top guitar, but well..its decent) and as soon as i plug everything in i got a bit sad, let me explain why in very simple words and without technical jargon since im portuguese and not a pro guitarist, so technical terms are quite dificult to express.

I have this guitar for about 4 years now, i had never tried it before on an amp or so, iv changed the strings once (about last year) and i know it seams strange having it for so long without an amp etc but..well, money isnt easy to get for these things unfortunaly.

Anyway, i pluged it in on the V-Amp 2 and first thing i noticed was the volume control is doing alot of noise upwards being on a very high pinch at the middle (about 5 on 1-10 scale) and "stables" on scale 10 BUT..it keeps a buzzing trough out any note.

I´ll try and explain a bit better (since i wanna give you guys as much detail as possible), when i turn V-Amp 2 with the headphones and the cable from the guitar on (but leaving it connected only to V-Amp 2 and not the guitar) i hear alot of hum "feedback" then i connect it to the guitar and with the volume at 0 everything is fine, that kinda of "feedback" returns the second i start to pump the volume and little by little no matter what its always there..and almost at the end of the scale (1-10 in the volume) it goes off a little..enough not to bother too much but annoying when for example i puch gain in V-Amp 2 to 15% or so, the volume and master, hum i guess that on every high that annoying buzz keeps getting stronger, so i cant use V-Amp 2 as i would like :(

For example using the Modern Hi Gain Amp, 70% treble, 60% gain, 45% Mid, 20% Bass with volume on 80% and master about 65% with reverb on 10% the buzz is stupidly high and annoying, and no matter what its always there..even using the Tuner..and moving the volume control up or down shows "notes??" on the Tuner...i think that, that is not normal right? i mean, connecting the guitar to V-Amp 2..and even with the master and volume up for ex at 80% or full, should not make any pitch or buzz unless playing a note or touching the strings right?

Iv been reading on some other posts here and since i had broken a string the other day i decided to get rid of them all and assemble new ones monday, so i decided to check the guitar for broken wires, nothing..everything is fine i guess..no wire detached or so.
But the buzz is always there no matter what, wich from my ignorant point of view lead to these conclusions:

1) the guitar cable is "broken" or with problems on the connectors..i dunno

2) even if the wires are ok at the eye, perhaps there is a problem with one of them or so...

3) some kind of connection isnt being made or is made deficiently

4) the problem is on the V-Amp 2 corner? (i bought brand new, of the box friday..is really brand new!)

5) i cant really think of anything else :(

So, i would apreciate some kind of thinking from you guys of what might cause this problem, so if monday i should only buy the new strings or if i should take the guitar for repair if necessary and if its gonna be expensive, cause just when i thought i had finaly got the chance to enjoy playing the guitar i run out of luck.

And one last..thought, hum, is it normal in any case to have such a buzz? if anyone here tried or own V-Amp 2 please do help, i would be very gratefull and excuse my english, its not perfect.

Cheers to you all and thank you in advance.

(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

I haven't tried that V-Amp, but it doesn't sound like it's the source of the problem.

You said you plugged in headphones and turned on the amp while the cord was plugged into the amp, but not the guitar. You got hum. That's normal, no problem there.

You plug it in, guitar volume at 0, and it's fine. But when you turn the volume up on the guitar, there's a problem? Or was it the amp's volume knob?

IF it's the guitar's volume, it sounds as though you have a grounding problem. A good way to check this is to place your fingers on the strings while you have the guitar plugged in and the volume up. If the hum gets guitar or changes in some way, you have a grounding problem (although that may only be one part of your problem.)

If it's the amp itself, I'd have absolutely no idea - I'm sorry. However, there are more experienced, qualified members here who can probably give you better advice than I can.

(It's also worth checking your cord. Cords are notorious for causing problems - if you have any spare ones, try them. See if you can isolate the problem to one component.)

...It occurs to me now, after re-reading your post...it is a really loud hum or is it just a regular hum?

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@theron)
Topic starter  

Hi lunchmeat, first of thank you for replying :)

Well, i thought of that too, the cord cable (didnt knew it was called that eheh so it toke me sometime to figure out what it was :oops:) and unfortunaly i dont have a spare one, the hum when i start to move the volume knob on the guitar is straight of loud only dropping when it reaches the maximum scale of 10, then it keeps there buzzing but on a lower frequency (but very annoying) and if i use for example gain or some kind of delay well...it gets impossible then.

I must say that i double checked all connections and wires and they all seam fine, the guitar itself plays fine, i dont understand :?

Tomorrow im going to buy new strings, and for what you say a new cord as well, but still i have no idea of the problem.
But another thing i dont understand is that, i never used this cord before, actualy the guitar itself was never used on any amp before, so, i dunno if that as any influence since i have it for almost 5 years now.

Ah, the hum is lowder on 1 to 9 scale, for example if i place the volume knob on 5 it gets really lowd the hum and i can barely hear the guitar sound. Also if i do that and turn the tuner on the Amp to check for any changes on the notes etc..when i start to move the volume knob it gets d.b and it some cases displays random notes as if i was touching the strings..just by moving the knob, but when it gets to the maximum scale the tuner gets normal and there it is..that hum..buzzz you know, very annoying, and of course because its there, whenever i adjust the master volume or volume on the amp that hum gets lowder.

Hope this explanation helps in anyway to figure out what is wrong with this situation.

Once again, thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

I believe I know your problem. It's your guitar.

I had the same problem with my guitar at one time, so I'd always play it at volume 10. It is a grounding problem with your guitar. You should also shield your guitar to eliminate some more hum.

I find it odd that the hum is bad enough to completely obscure yourguitar sound, however. You should try playing your guitar in a different room or location, and plug the amp into a different outlet. Are you playing close to any lights, or large appliances (refrigerator, washer, dryer)? This may help your problem as well.

Try this site. ( http://www.guitarnuts.com )

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And especially stay far away from any TV or monitor with a CRT in it. 20 feet away from my old iMac, I have to turn my P-90s at right angles to it to keep the hum down.

Fluorescent lights, electric motors and transformers are big hum producers. That includes the power transformer in your amp. Stay way away from it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote