Volume Knob

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok,

I just bought a Jackson and the volume knob was loose to the point where I could keep turning it in a circle and it wouldn't ever stop. Well I made the stupid mistake of twisting it a little too far and it came off. Now the problem is, I put it back on and it falls off. I think I stripped the little peg (can you tell I am not really mechanically inclined?) that holds the knob on. Should I take my guitar in and have someone more experienced than I take a look at it or is this pretty easy to fix?

Thanks,

Ryan

Gun control is using both hands!!!

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

dunno, is it one of those with a set screw? If so then take a little allen wrench to the screw and tigheten (the screw looks like a black dot).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sounds like you may now have 2 problems.

1) The knob won't stay on.

If it is splined (no set screw) it could be just that the plastic inside the button is stripped. Just a test, put a piece of paper towel or something like that over the post and slide the knob back on and see it if holds.

2) The post sounds like it is spinning.

Can you tell if the post turns all the way around or stops at about 300 degrees in either direction. Also, is it actually changing the volume. You may have a broken stop in the pot if it keeps turning.

Either case it sounds like it should go back to the shop for repairs unless it is just the knob which could be replaced without effecting your warranty. If the pot is bad they should make it good. If you change it you void the warranty.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just a test, put a piece of paper towel or something like that over the post and slide the knob back on and see it if holds.

Thanks for the responses I'll have to try that when I get home.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote