Notifications
Clear all

What are these pickups...?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@treblenez)
Topic starter  

Alright I'm not a complete noob at guitar repair, but this thing has me stumped. I assumed they are passive pickups, from the HZ series based on what I found online. Specifically the DBE H-1 model. However, when I play them they start to fade out like an active pickup with a dead battery but I can't find ANY batteries on this thing to save my life.

So Seeing as they are passive as far as I can tell I checked the wiring, wiggled it a bit while playing and nothing happened. I've been over the connections again and again and everything looks good.

These pickups have no rods in them. they are smooth on top, which leads me to think they are active but I can not find a battery and they have an irritating almost rubber like backing that does not come off in one piece. if anyone can give me some info on this I'd be greatly appreciative.

Please keep in mind I'm no expert, and I don't play much (I'm starting to). If I'm missing something terribly obvious, don't be afraid to point it out please....

(@treblenez)
Topic starter  

Also, sorry to double post but I learned something new last night. after they start to fade out, they will come back in. its gradual not at all sudden so it doesn't seem to fit the symptoms of a bad solder connection. I do not know what could be causing this.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

They are passive pickups - if the guitar is fading in and out it has to be the amp, I would think.

ReplyQuote
(@treblenez)
Topic starter  

If by amp you mean the combo amp I'm hooked up to thats not the problem nor is it the cable. this is my normal setup I play on every day, the only change made has been the guitar.

ReplyQuote