Clear all

what do the strat controls do?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@yjm_rules)
Topic starter  

easy question!

which pickups do the tone controls on a strat control?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One is for the neck, the other for the middle. The bridge pup doesn't have a tone control.

So you end up using only the neck tone control in position 1 (neck pup only), both tone controls in position 2, only the middle tone control in position 3 and 4, and in position 5 (bridge only) the knobs are just decorations.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One is for the neck, the other for the middle. The bridge pup doesn't have a tone control.

So you end up using only the neck tone control in position 1 (neck pup only), both tone controls in position 2, only the middle tone control in position 3 and 4, and in position 5 (bridge only) the knobs are just decorations.

Not totally true. It depends on the model and place of manufacture.

Here's a link to a page that gives the wiring for all the various Fender models. Some have no bridge tone, some have bridge & middle - there may be others, I haven't looked at every wiring diagram.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the new strat american deluxe series features the S-1 control switch that offers an incredible amount of tonal possibilities

http://www.fender.com/products/s1/pdf/AmericanDeluxeStratSSS010-1200.pdf

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I was under the impression that the middle was the one that's always full-out... no?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Not in my experiance of playing my Strat.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are various wiring schemes for strats, that's true enough. The variations will be in the 'American Standard' line - they've wired that a few different ways.

So in general: standard strats are wired for neck & middle; deluxe strats are wired for neck & middle/bridge. Models with humbuckers in one or more positions, and the 'signature' models are all over the board.

A few strats don't even really have two tone controls (although some of those will have two tone knobs!) On those, one is a master tone control, and the other is usually a mid-range boost.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote