Notifications
Clear all

What is with these frets?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cjmac)
Topic starter  

Hi guys and gals. This is my 1st post. Thanks in advance for any help. Anyway, the question.
I have a new Squire Affinity series Tele. Love the neck, hate weak sounding pickups. My problem is the frets stick out on both the top and bottom of the neck and the ones on the bottom are ripping apart the lowest section of my index finger. Anything I can do about this?

I wish everyone could be rich and famous for a day so they could see its not the answer.--Jim Carrey

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hi, and welcome to GN.
As it's a new guitar, I'd take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement. Tell them that you understand that it's a budget guitar, but that's not a reason for shoddy workmanship.
Whatever you say, don't go looking for confrontation, be polite and friendly, you'll get far better treatment by the staff.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Totally agree, there is no excuse for totally undressed fret wire. They should replace it without a problem.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

One good reason to play the guitar your going to buy. Rather than test driving and ordering online.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll also say Hi and Welcome.

The edge's of the frets need to be filed even with the board. This should have been done before the shop sold the guitar. If you bought it from a shop take it back and explain what your having problems with and ask them to kindly repair it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Depending on the guitar, it could be fretboard shrinkage from lack of proper humidity.

If it wasn't like that when you bought it, but happened a few days after you got it home, my guess is your house is too dry and the wood in the fretboard is drying out, causing it to shrink, which will allow the metal frets to stick out each side.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@cjmac)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help. I will remember to be specific in the future. I boought it off e-bay, not a store. I seems the more I play it, the less off a problem it is, so I will play keep playing it till i decide i'm actually gonna keep playing (this time). Then buy a real tele or strat.

I wish everyone could be rich and famous for a day so they could see its not the answer.--Jim Carrey

ReplyQuote