Clear all

Where do you store your guitar?

37 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
11.1 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Lock 'em all up but remember to let the kids out for meals.  

I'm quite surprised everyone does not just leave their guitar in a stand so that it's ready to go on a moment's notice.  I don't have little kids roaming about or obnoxious guitar-wanna-bes snatching up my guitar and wailing.  It's always in my stand that has a spring lever that locks it into position.  Even if the stand got knocked over the guitar would not get damaged so that's peace of mind for me.

I find that, if I put the guitar in the case, I don't play it as much.  Further, I have to take my guitar strap off to put it in the case so that's another disincentive.  The guitar is always out unless I'm bringing it somewhere.  Then it goes in the hardshell case.  Just my way of doing things.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

"C'mon out he was talking about the guitar not you boy's". I knew i shouln't have used a combination lock. Now what was the code again. "stay where you are daddy's going to get the bolt cutters".LOL!

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member

Since I don't have a stand, my guitar is usually in a case or, if I intend to play quite a bit, leaning against the wall.

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote
(@mcbobie)
Eminent Member

On the wall.  They look great, and they're quick to get to.

No doubt here's mine:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Nice picture. I love seeing guitars displayed on the walls.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I keep mine in their cases.  Kids and dog running around make that the safest place.  Having them in the case doesn't keep me from playing obsessively at all.
And I've read that keeping the acoustic in the case actually helps protect it from changes in humidity.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Highly recommend wall hanging...looks good and is safe and convenient.

I prefer Off-the-Wall brand, but String Swings are good as well. It's mainly a decor and $$ choice, as both types are strong enough when installed properly. If I had more room, every one of my guitars would dangle -- the only current exceptions are my solid-top acoustics, which winter in their cases with humidifiers.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

O.K. ONE of my hobbies is wood working. Like i said before i like the look of hanging them on the wall for many reasons (children, animals, easy to get at and most of all apperance). But in the long run is it going to hurt the headstock? Yea in a store they might have it there for a month or two but how about YEARS? I already have them maped out in my head in a large enclosed case on the wall with all the ventalation or humidifiers that they will need. So what is the long term effect on the guitar itself?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

This kind of one of those iffy answers. Everyone will have their own opinion about the subject. I have guitars that have been hung on the walls for many years. However the are not hung by their neck. The wall brackets support the body of the guitar. Some are stored in flight cases, some in hardshell cases, and some just leaned against the wall and amps.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

You could rig a wall hanger and like a stand type of thing with a rubber surface together.  So it is on the "stand" but is being supported as well by the wall hanger.  Or maybe bad idea, i think it is a good one though.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yea i like the idea of basically having a raised floor with plexy glass doors. The case will have a bottom to it so i might as well use it. And i will put wall hangers in there but it will only stop it from swaying from side to side. Thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

Still LOL for Nick's earlier shower comment!

I've got guitars hanging on the walls in almost every room (but not the bathroom Nick in case you are wondering ;).)  The two I use for teaching are on a stand next to the piano for easy access.  

Today I just bought the coolest 5 guitar stand!   :o  It is called Rockstand by Warwick.  It folds up into a suitcase and is super steady.  I saw one like this by Fender on Musician's Friend for Aaaaaugh! $200, but this one was only $79.  The bottom pads are velcroed in, so you can easily move them to accomidate acoustics too.   You can set it up or take it down in a minute.  Great for taking with you as well.  

Keep an eye out for it.

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

Here's a link for different kinds of guitar stands and wall hangers if anyone is interested:

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Guitar-Stands--2557

And here's another:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040315071833209183197097636010/g=guitar/search/c=4386

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The frets.com guy says he keeps his on the wall.  I trust him.  I don't know why.  If he hangs his, it must not be bad for them, even over a longer period of time.  

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General/faq.html#WhereKeepThem

And elsewhere ( http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General/faq.html#Strap )
he writes:

I think I can say without fear of contradiction (from the experienced luthier community) that it is impossible to warp a guitar neck by hanging the instrument on the wall for permanent storage, or by using a strap tied at the peghead end. Just another "old husband's tale." Even a heavyweight Les Paul electric only tips the scale at about 11 pounds, so the extra load on the peghead can't compare to the load of string tension. Yes it's at an angle when pulled on by the strap, but still, it's not much force. My only solid body electric guitar hangs by its strap on my kitchen wall, in playing position, secured at the end pin and peghead. It's been hanging there continuously for more than ten years, and I'm dead certain there's no chance of damage to the neck as a result, so there it stays!

Just a contribution to the hanging thread!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slashrules)

Gig bag by my bed.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3