Clear all

Wiring Help! Anyone Please!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ummagumma)
Topic starter  

Hello all and thanks for lookin!
Ok, I have a Danelectro Innuendo, that i found at a biker shop for 30 bucks, it has a typical strat setup with 3 single coils, 5 way selector, 1 voulme pot, 1 tone pot.
Heres my problem, the wiring on it is all messed up, it works but is very noisy except in the second position thats dead quiet. I have to have my hands on the strings or any metal part of the guitar otherwise a LOUD buzz will come out. If i plug it in and face my amp it will make noise but moving around and turning the guitar will cause the buzz to disapear. Also, when adjusting the volume 1-7 have a low buzz while 8-10 have a higher quieter buzz. I had a chance to look at the wiring and fixed it up a little which got ride of some of the buzzing but not all. While looking at it i noticed that the pick up selector is grounded, is this normal? I think that my pots are bad but im leaving it up to all you good people, any help would be very helpfull!
,Austin

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome, here's a few sites to learn more about the subject, along with wiring schematics.

Guitar Wiring

Guitar Wiring 2

Guitar Wiring 3

Electrostatic hum and buzz

Wiring 101

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The buzzing that goes away when you touch the strings is probably due to a disconnect of the bridge ground. You need a bare wire scrwed under the metal of the bridge that goes to a ground point.

The buzzing from facing the amp may be due to a need for shielding (with copper (?) or foil or shielding paint) or a failure to ground the shielding. The shielding is often grounded by running it to the edge if the pickguard and again screwing a bare wire in contact with the shielding (when you attach the pickguarg) and running it to ground.

Also, make sure your amp is grounded, or the only ground will be through your body, which will lead to buzzing and is a shock hazzard.

ReplyQuote