Notifications
Clear all

Wooden Bridge Saddle for better overall sound in acoustic gu

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rrrowland112)
Topic starter  

Hi guys im no experienced luthier or something but recently i made a wooden saddle (Australian willow) which is really hard wood and it blackens when the wood ages ,anyway i replaced the saddle thats supplied on the guitar and i noticed a major improvement in the overall tone,resonance and sustain in my acoustic guitar . Previously there was slight buzzing on the lower fret positions but that stopped as well , anyway i was wondering if anybody could try this and see if it works out for you too. Suprisingly ive had the guitar for about 3 months in this condition and the strings havent sunk into the wood so it will hold up over time im sure.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

interesting. some guitars do use wood saddles, though these usually are associated with strong attack, fast decay and little sustain: hollowbody jazz guitars, resophonics (biscuit bridge "dobros").

did your replacement bridge raise the action? if so, that alone could account for buzz fix, better sustain and changes in timbre. also, did you make any other changes -- e.g., new strings? the best way to compare would be to control all variables except material on your guitar: make another saddle of bone or a quality material, and make sure it matches the dimensions of your willow bridge. record the guitar with each and A-B the recordings, most people's aural memories are not very good for recognizing subtle differences outside a 15-second or so comparo window. a lot of work!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote