Clear all

Yet another problem

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It seems that the holes on the side of the pickups that the bolt that attaches it to the pickguard is to big, as the bolt slips out. Do I have to buy different bolts, or can I do something to make the ones I have work. Could I try that pipe fitting tape on the bolts that keep the threads there but make the bolt fit snugger. I don't really know how to explain the tape, sorry. All I know is that its white, and you but in on stuff like pvc pipe to make it fit correctly into other pvc pipe joints.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You really need a solid connection there because chances are your going to have to adjust the pickup height. Call whoever you got the pickups from an ask them what size screw to use(they might even ship you a set), if not go to Lowe's or Home Depot or Ace or Tru Value or Coast to Coast or look in the phone book under fasteners/hardware and get a few of them.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I think the term you're looking for is "Teflon tape," but I wouldn't try that. It almost sounds like a #5 screw falling into a #6 hole or some such. Pickup mounting screws (the ones that affect height adjustment) come in several sizes, and pickup ring screws only add to the mix. Maybe you were accidentally shipped the wrong size.
As A&L said, get and use the right ones. You'll be much happier with the results.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ditto everything Doug says ... and teflon tape is not for making screw joints fit snuggly in the manner you suggest. It's for making a gas-tight connection.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the screws are to small for the holes I would try a little bigger screw. Perhaps the bolts are maybe standard thread and the hole threads are metric?

Just a thought.

joe

ReplyQuote