Clear all

1st Stereo Recording

26 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm learning about these two mics and am really starting to enjoy this frustrating part of music LOL.
Frustrating! LOL!

Man, that sounds considerably better than the old tracks!

You got it! :D

Posted : 18/06/2010 7:13 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno! I've got about 4 tracks left, then it'll be ready for the art to be re-created (with new bar-code, and insert. And THEN I can start booking gigs again...if I am playing for free, I want to be able to sell a CD or two. I'm happy even if I sell 1 or 2 Cd's at a gig, it means I've made what it's worth for me to play because I only play for an hour and a half or so.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 19/06/2010 3:22 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

EUREKA!

Okay I'm officially a tweaker. I think I came across by accident the best mix for my situation....there is a combination of low noise, and good volume, and crisp high's and lows. Some things weren't quite sitting well with me with this so I re-mixed things.

http://www.box.net/shared/bzkhbxr5lf
http://www.box.net/shared/t4jixbg5hf

I've kind of resigned the fact that I've go some hardware and space limitations to record, but I think I've found a way to get the good sound.

Posted : 28/06/2010 11:47 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The sound is absolutely clear! 8)

Posted : 28/06/2010 12:19 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno! Is the noise that is there distracting at all?

Posted : 28/06/2010 12:20 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Noise? I don't hear any noise. I am using the speakers in the laptop. Do you mean the fretting noise? I hear it in the first song but just a couple of times. The first time I listened I didn't take into account.

Posted : 28/06/2010 1:38 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No, it was the white noise that I was concerned about. I'm finding out that the headphone jack in the iPod creates a bit on it's own, which I put it on the iPod and put it in the car to see how it sounds through car speakers, and I use those to judge LOL. It's kind of weird I know. But I used my cheapo headphones that have an extremely high high-end and the noise was minimal, so I'm pretty happy now with everything, only 3 songs left to re-record!

But I was getting white noise there that I wasn't getting with my headphones, plus it sounded very hollow and tinny there...turns out the iPod was giving it a bit of low level noise (or the line that plugs into the aux jack).

I did a little bit more to it...but nothing that's going to be noticeable to anyone but me I'd wager. But using the "Pop" setting on the iPod it sounds like what was in my headphones and at a good volume too!

Thanks for all the help sir, I really really appreciate it!

Posted : 28/06/2010 7:06 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I listened again. I used my Sennheisers this time It seems the first track has a little bit of noise in the right channel. I don't know if it has some sense.

Also, the second track, it seems the right channel is louder than the left one. My brain perceives more sound from the right channel. (I hope I don't have one of those plugs in my left ear! LOL!)

On the other hand, I was listening some recordings by Mark Hanson, I have a couple of books by him. Your noise is much lower than his recordings!

Posted : 29/06/2010 11:06 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Wow, cool okay, I haven't heard of any tracks from him, but it's good to hear!

And you are right, the left channel is higher than the right on Breezy, that happened when mixing down the stereo track, the VU meters on my mixer aren't the greatest indicators. That's since been fixed so that the volume is about equal.

Just a couple tracks left...seems like it's taken me forever to re-do this thing! LOL.

Posted : 30/06/2010 8:57 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay, tweaking is finally done!! The only thing I think I want to do is increase the volume by just a bit, so maybe add a bit in the post fader portion after the Chain, I think this is the best I can get it, and maybe as close to a studio release as I could come.

http://www.box.net/shared/0re73n1qhy
http://www.box.net/shared/0re73n1qhy

Posted : 01/07/2010 5:00 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It sounds good to me (it is the same link).

Posted : 01/07/2010 8:55 am
Page 2 / 2