Clear all

Beginner / Intermediate Challenge - Hold On Loosely

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

After hearing some of the new posts here, I am almost embarrassed to post this, but what the heck?

This is "Hold on Loosely" by 38 special. Most of you are way to young to remember these guys - ask your dad....or grandfather :D

I mentioned earlier that I finally found some friends to jam with - 3 other crazy old guys with nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. This is one of the songs chosen by the rhythm guitarist. I found a backing track and put this together this morning. The BT has bass and drums only - I added 3-4 layers of (questionable) guitar on top.

at the :15 mark - there is a glitch in the backing track - it jumps a bit - not me...I promise :roll:

I play the lead parts in the jam group - so I usually dont play the intro - which is a good thing..I figured the lead from the CD - and kept it as pure as I could (I did have to simplify some parts)

Let me know what you think. Now its time for the other intermediate and begining players to post!

http://nottheguy.dmusic.com

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 19/08/2006 4:56 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Sounds great to me.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 19/08/2006 5:34 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

NotTheGuy,

That sounds great! 8) I really enjoyed it, and will be listening to some of your other stuff posted there.

I've always loved 38 Special, and got to see them about a month ago at our county fair. Great concert!

Nice work. Wish I could play like that.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 19/08/2006 6:21 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

EXCELLENT

Very nice job! You should [or have somebody]add the vocals.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 19/08/2006 6:38 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I've been meaning to get a song in working order to post at request of your other thread ntg, but my computer is bogged down with spyware and my drum machine keeps beat about as well as my girlfriend. Instead, I just recorded myself improvising, http://www.soundclick.com/ivankaramazov , it's at the top (titled improv).

As usual, parts of it are too busy. :?

Posted : 19/08/2006 11:34 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

There you go making me look like a talentless hack :D

That was sweet - I wish I could improv like that. I'm slowly learning my scales and theory - so one day I hope to play like that.

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 19/08/2006 11:49 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

lol, thanks man.

I wish I could play those Zeppelin songs as well as you can. I butcher Page solos every single time. I've actually been told it sounds like Page playing with two fingers (counting the thumb), which I take as a compliment.

Posted : 20/08/2006 12:04 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

BUMP - My brand new virtual friend "JPF" from the Guitars101 forum has added vocals - and did a great job if I say so myself. It's still posted at

http://nottheguy.dmusic.com

I hate to sound like a total geek, but it's awesome to download a backing track from someone you never met - add some layers of guitar using your home PC, and then get someone else you never met to add vox......all within 24 hours.

Posted : 20/08/2006 1:14 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

THAT WAS GREAT!!!!! 8)

This is one of my favorite songs, and you guys did it proud! :D

WOW! 8) 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/08/2006 1:25 am
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

nice track NotTheGuy, I really love the song, great all around. Is that you on vocals?

Zacharias Wolf

Posted : 20/08/2006 3:16 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Not me on vox - a guy from another forum added them to my track this afternoon.

Posted : 20/08/2006 3:43 am
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

:idea: It just occurred to me that maybe you didn't intend for everyone to post songs in this particular thread.

My bad.

Posted : 20/08/2006 6:04 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Darn fine job with that right there! Keep up the great work.

Posted : 20/08/2006 2:12 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Now that's a virtual BAND!

ROCK ON!!! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 20/08/2006 3:16 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Very, very, very good.

You guys nailed it and I'm a 38 Special fan! I've played that song many times in live gigs.

Great work!!!!!

You guys do about 40 more like that and you can play all kinds of virtual concerts, too! :wink: :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/08/2006 6:49 pm
Page 1 / 2