Clear all

capitalisMEverything

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A slightly more experimental song compared with the more poppy recent tracks. Hope noone minds too much. Comments welcome!

http://www.last.fm/music/Sleutelbos/+videos/16577313
capitalisMEverything

Who do you think you are?
Thinking on your own
You're a danger to society
You're a danger to us all

(they're going to reward you)

Posted : 13/11/2008 10:08 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Couldn't have said it better myself! :twisted:

The mix was, outta this world good!
Great balance.

I especially liked the blurry/out of focus scenes....
reminded me of the Twilight Zones that are about the conformity of totalitarian society.
The mindless anonymity.

*Censored Censure* :twisted:

Good job!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 13/11/2008 11:37 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Filming the same species of primates gathering food and clothing in the only environment available to them 10,000 years ago would have been different . . . . and more interesting.
I didn't get it.
What's good about filming out of focus? It defeats the purpose of the lens.
And you have definitely made better sounds.
Was this an experiment that went horribly wrong?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 14/11/2008 2:08 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Haha, thanks people.

No KR, this is not an experiment that gone wrong, it's simply an experiment that is. It is what it is, and none of it is in any way other then what it should be. The film wasn't shot out of focus btw, it was shot perfectly in focus so I could reduce the focus post-filming. It has a meaning to me, how you interpretate it is completely up to you. But these 'Ken vs Ken' opinions do demontrate the essense of experimental music: it wont connect with everyone: everything you dislike is what CN likes about it. That doesn't mean the either the audience or the piece is flawed, it's just not the right combination for the two.

Thanks for listening and commenting, both of you!

Posted : 14/11/2008 12:12 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I really liked it. The whole out of focus thing spoke to me. Not that I'm used to seeing the world that way, but that we all tend to. I travel from Washington DC to New York City and Stockbridge/Great Barrington. In the first two everyone may as well be out of focus. People don't make eye contact, don't even grunt at each other and if you do say hello or good morning they look at you like you are crazy. They'd rather you remain out of focus. In Stockbridge if you look up and say hello you get a hello in return. You become focused.

If I look at the song from what I assume is the title's perspective, there really is no person, identity is nothing. What matters is demographics and your purchasing power. You aren't in focus, no matter how much the advertisement says you are. You are only what you buy.

Anyway, about the video. It was pretty darn good. Personally I would back the voices way off. They seem too focused for an out of focus piece. Great work.

Posted : 14/11/2008 12:31 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Haha, thanks people.

No KR, this is not an experiment that gone wrong, it's simply an experiment that is. It is what it is, and none of it is in any way other then what it should be. The film wasn't shot out of focus btw, it was shot perfectly in focus so I could reduce the focus post-filming. It has a meaning to me, how you interpretate it is completely up to you. But these 'Ken vs Ken' opinions do demontrate the essense of experimental music: it wont connect with everyone: everything you dislike is what CN likes about it. That doesn't mean the either the audience or the piece is flawed, it's just not the right combination for the two.

Thanks for listening and commenting, both of you!
Just calling it the way I see it.
There is no Ken vs Ken thing going on.
I would have posted what I did without anyone's opinion influencing me.
But when others see it a different way I can easily attribute it to my lack of sophistication in these matters.
And I have no problem with that . . . after all, I can't be good at everything. :roll: :lol:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 14/11/2008 12:57 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just calling it the way I see it.
There is no Ken vs Ken thing going on.
I would have posted what I did without anyone's opinion influencing me.

Haha, don't get me wrong, I didnt mean that. It's just funny that two people post such opposite opinions on the same piece. There realyy doesnt seem to be much of a middle ground when things get a bit more experimental: you either like it or you really don't. And both are fine with me: I prefer people having any kind of opinion about a song over plain indifference. 8)

Posted : 14/11/2008 8:06 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Here's my thoughts on it, and I could be interpreting this waaaay wrong, but I really like the way it starts out clear.

It kind of reminds me that when we start out in life, everything is so, clear, it is what it is, and as time progresses the lines get blurry when we realize what's really going on in the world and step outside of our "box" and begin to think for ourselves and develop our own opinions and the government takes a bit more control of our lives.

May be way off base here, but that's what I go out of the video anyway.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 15/11/2008 4:08 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice video, Arjen. And nice song. "Experimental" is also "experimenting" with pop. It is always cool to experiment! :D

Posted : 15/11/2008 1:00 pm