Clear all

Classical Gas

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My attempt at some fingerpicking. I first heard a snippet of this song on The Simpsons and it hooked me. Downloaded the tab years ago and learnt some of the intro. Then I looked at the rest of the tab, the speed it had to be played at and thought 'sod that!'

Anyway, a few months ago I stumbled across it again, decided to have another crack at it and here we are. Couple of things: It's done on my electric guitar, the action of which is quite high and all over the place. As a result the low E and A can sound quite dominating. When barring certain sections it can sound like a 'shrill whine' or a bit dull and flat. Maybe one day I'll get around to buying a classical guitar, but until then i don't think it's too shabby.

Does anyone think the tempo is too fast or garbled? Does it flow well?

Cheers.

http://villanovajunction.dmusic.com/

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

Posted : 08/12/2005 12:53 pm
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well, I'm no expert and certainly can't play that well, but I think your own analysis is pretty good. If you got the guitar fixed, I'm sure you'd impress a general audience though. Really, if I could play Sultans of Swing that well, I'd be happy indeed. :)

I trust a couple of other people will coment, but it seems to me that there are one or two places that could be somewhat improved ... Hopefully sommeone else can be more helpful.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

Posted : 08/12/2005 1:30 pm
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Villanova and BP, you both sounded very good, I have started to learn this song and got through the intro like Villanova and let it go for awhile. Now I want to learn the rest, and hearing the versions you two have posted has gotten me inspired again. I would definetly try and record it with a classical guitar Villanova, I have tried it with a steel string but sounds much better with nylon. Good work, both of you.

Posted : 09/12/2005 3:03 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

villanova:

Nice job, sounds real pretty. I think the timing needs a bit of work, some smoothing out in some sections. The best thing to do is just play along with the track. Really good now, much better than I can do. It sounds kind of like you have the tone set very low on the guitar, you might want to turn it up a TAD, not too much, cause I know you are trying to get that acoustic sound...

Anyways, very good, and a good start as well. Smooth it out a bit and it'll sound even better.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 09/12/2005 3:21 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

nice job VN.
i'm not qualified to critique but it has inspired me again to learn this also.

BP~ your version of "Mood for a Day" is wonderful

#4491....

Posted : 10/12/2005 1:20 am