Clear all

Delia's Gone

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

This is my second attempt at recording. I'm working on playing and singing at the same time. Margaritaville was done in two tracks. I recorded the guitar first, then added the vocals. This was done in one track in one take. Please, take a listen. I'd appreciate some constructive criticism. My wife says I sound good, but she has to live with me. I don't think you can every really trust your wife's opinion ;)

You can download it here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/~dsword/delia.mp3

Posted : 27/01/2007 1:30 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

i can remember gene autry [forgive if not correct spelling] sorta johnny cash as well , bet you got a horse as well eh! :lol: this is hard for me because i don,t do a lot of country western but this works ok ....now go and get your wife that bunch of flowers she was after :wink: ....best ....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 28/01/2007 8:52 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I think it's good. I would love to have that quality to my voice. Definitely keep it up.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 28/01/2007 4:00 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I think you did awesome, the guitar strumming is pretty close to flawless, didn't seem like your timing ever got off, if it did you covered it up well. The singing had quite a few errors but you could certainly perform that song in front of a few hundred people and not get hit with any rotten tomatos. It sounds like you are at the point where every time you play it, you'll make significantly fewer mistakes.

Posted : 02/02/2007 1:40 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I never heared of this song so I can't compare it with that. But I can say I enjoyed listening to it, so if that was your goal I'd say you've succeeded. What's up with the tremolo by the way?

Posted : 02/02/2007 2:09 pm
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I never heared of this song so I can't compare it with that. But I can say I enjoyed listening to it, so if that was your goal I'd say you've succeeded. What's up with the tremolo by the way?

I'm not sure what you mean by "tremolo".

Posted : 02/02/2007 2:29 pm
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I think you did awesome, the guitar strumming is pretty close to flawless, didn't seem like your timing ever got off, if it did you covered it up well. The singing had quite a few errors but you could certainly perform that song in front of a few hundred people and not get hit with any rotten tomatos. It sounds like you are at the point where every time you play it, you'll make significantly fewer mistakes.

Where were the mistakes in the singing? Was it my timing or was I not singing the correct notes? What should I be working on?

Thanks,
David

Posted : 02/02/2007 2:44 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Good stuff David! 8)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 02/02/2007 2:55 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There seems to be a tremolo effect on, somewhere. Tremolo means a rhythmic fluctuation of volume, you can hear it best at the very end of the track on the guitar and also during other parts. I'm not quite sure what it is and it's very much in the background but I like it.

Posted : 02/02/2007 3:03 pm
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

There seems to be a tremolo effect on, somewhere. Tremolo means a rhythmic fluctuation of volume, you can hear it best at the very end of the track on the guitar and also during other parts. I'm not quite sure what it is and it's very much in the background but I like it.

I'm not running any effects, only me singing and playing my acoustic into my PC microphone. It may have something to do with the software, or my soundcard or something. I haven't heard it, but I'll take another listen tonight when I'm at home and try to pin it down.

Thanks,
David

Posted : 02/02/2007 3:07 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

The tremelo effect that Sleutelbos is probably what I referred to as the mistakes (other than the one near the ender where you had to cram extra lyrics in due to starting late or something). Basically it sounds to me like you're voice just cuts out at the start or end of some of the phrases, I can't really double check what I heard cause I'm at work, for all I know it's intentional as I think johnny cash did that too but not as much of an extreme. I'm pretty much tone deaf non-singer, I don't even watch american idol, so my opinion isn't really an informed, but like I said, overall it was very good.

Posted : 02/02/2007 4:36 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maliciant: What I'm hearing is mostly affecting the guitar, not the vocals.

Posted : 02/02/2007 4:41 pm
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The tremelo effect that Sleutelbos is probably what I referred to as the mistakes (other than the one near the ender where you had to cram extra lyrics in due to starting late or something). Basically it sounds to me like you're voice just cuts out at the start or end of some of the phrases, I can't really double check what I heard cause I'm at work, for all I know it's intentional as I think johnny cash did that too but not as much of an extreme. I'm pretty much tone deaf non-singer, I don't even watch american idol, so my opinion isn't really an informed, but like I said, overall it was very good.

I think the reason my voice cuts in and out is because I'm taking my head away from the crappy computer microphone to look at the fretboard. :x It makes sense because that is where most of the chord changes are. I'll work on that. :lol:

Thanks, for taking the time to give me advice. I do appreciate it very much.

David

Posted : 02/02/2007 5:01 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Good stuff Dave!

Posted : 04/02/2007 3:59 am