13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

:shock:

Yes, yours truly is going to share a little guitar activity with you. I've decided (and been coaxed :x ) to post my current project.

I am attempting to learn a song I have always enjoyed listening to. I've never been motivated to learn copy but now it's starting to become apparent, it can't hurt. So my first song is by Firehouse called Love of a Lifetime.

I can now finally get through intro, verse and chorus. Notice I said GET THROUGH...that has no bearing on quality. What this is going to be is my benchmark, starting point. From here I will post my progress as it smooths out and becomes noticeable as the song. Right now I would never let anyone hear this but I figure if I don't put some pressure on myself it might take a longer time to get it down.

So I'm putting myself out in the open on this one. I'm not asking for any comments, tho you are fine to post anything you want, good, bad or indifferent. I'm just posting a starting point and will post my progress as there is any. . . If there is any. :?

So here's the first recording to begin the comparison. This is also 6 days of practice with 3 days off for out of town travel. I started working on this last Saturday.

Love of a Lifetime

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 26/01/2007 9:25 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That is one great song, Bish! 8)

Thanks for posting a work-in-progress, confirming that even talented guitarists do start somewhere with a new piece. Sometimes it gets discouraging for us beginners when it feels like everyone else in the world can just pop out new and challenging songs without any effort.

I'll personally look forward to hearing your progress on this project.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/01/2007 9:58 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

not bad bro, i remember that song, were you using the 51 or your schecter ?

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 27/01/2007 1:43 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You're off to a good start on this one Bish. :) Keep working at it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/01/2007 4:53 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, everyone.

I used my PRS Custom 24 into the Digitech GNX3000.

Bish

Posted : 27/01/2007 5:39 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

LAST SATURDAY EH!! lot of people would be glad to that in months.....drive on man 8) 8) ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 27/01/2007 12:07 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That's not humiliating, it's perfectly good. There's a few places to tighten up a little, but hey, that was the point of recording it :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 27/01/2007 12:44 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bish,

how do you like the gnx 3000 ?i have been reading up on the gnx 4, dont know the difference in the two, but what
i have read, i like them 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 27/01/2007 12:57 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Rocker,

I like the modeller. It is a step up from my V-amp2 for a lot of reasons but I like the sound that I get from the V-amp2.

The improvements in the GNX are regular looking pedal board arrangement and a volume pedal. Next having a built in drum machine or time keeper is an added dimension giving more ability to hone your skills.

The modelled tones sound good to me but I don't know if my ear is good enough yet to make that statetment real for everyone.

So all in all for what I'm using it for now, it's great.

I haven't even tapped into the mixing software or even connected it through the USB interface. I'm still pumping it through my amp or into my sound card ATM. :D

Bish

Posted : 27/01/2007 1:49 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I saw them live not too long ago! Cool song.

Bish, nice job man. Other than a few spots you got it.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 28/01/2007 3:39 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Smoke, rocker and CnJ.

It all helps keep me motivated!

Bish

Posted : 28/01/2007 6:07 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Have to admire your courage sir ;-)

Thats a lot of picking. Think it's a good start - maybe your 3rd string is a bit off, or so it seems especially on the 7th note of the song - but it may be you're just bending the string slightly.

I will monitor this one!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 28/01/2007 8:14 pm
(@cringe)
Estimable Member

record it clean then work on weak parts. if it doesn't sound good clena it won't sound good with the junk. I'm not ripping in your playing it's just my opinionn on getting the best sound in the end.

Posted : 02/02/2007 4:54 am