Clear all

GN Collaboration Metal style jam

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, great mixing job man!

That opening section's really cool. None of that was outlined in the backing track—all that pulloff stuff – great!

And then it just gets down to jamming!

Crank's part – I know you were just funnin with us, but like Margaret said, fantastic. Almost like Gilmour or something – that bendy bluesy distorted thing.

Then me: (3-bolt Strat through POD2.0's Recto model, touch of compression, and Halls2 reverb from a NanoVerb); I can still hear where I'm playing that first part thinking, "Okay, when is that change to A coming in? Now? No...now?" And then I was thinking, "Okay, now WHERE's the drum thing so I can start the divebomb?"

And then Dog comes in with that classic metalesque triplet chucka-chuck-chuck palm mute thing and I'm thinking, "Okay, he said 'what' about his metal playing?" Then the slowsly chorused bluesy lead to set a different tempo/feel – pick harmonics and all.

Then Bish with that big open chord and then the great contrapuntal chord sequence, flying tasty lead with that one eastern-sounding note.

I'd go see this band live if I wasn't playing in it!

Fun stuff!

Posted : 07/12/2006 3:22 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Yah, great mixing job man!

That opening section's really cool. None of that was outlined in the backing track—all that pulloff stuff – great!

And then it just gets down to jamming!

Crank's part – I know you were just funnin with us, but like Margaret said, fantastic. Almost like Gilmour or something – that bendy bluesy distorted thing.

Then me: (3-bolt Strat through POD2.0's Recto model, touch of compression, and Halls2 reverb from a NanoVerb); I can still hear where I'm playing that first part thinking, "Okay, when is that change to A coming in? Now? No...now?" And then I was thinking, "Okay, now WHERE's the drum thing so I can start the divebomb?"

And then Dog comes in with that classic metalesque triplet chucka-chuck-chuck palm mute thing and I'm thinking, "Okay, he said 'what' about his metal playing?" Then the slowsly chorused bluesy lead to set a different tempo/feel – pick harmonics and all.

Then Bish with that big open chord and then the great contrapuntal chord sequence, flying tasty lead with that one eastern-sounding note.

I'd go see this band live if I wasn't playing in it!

Fun stuff!

And I thought I had good communication skills. Very well said! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 07/12/2006 3:35 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Nice review Demo!!!

I've listened to this thing at least 10 times now and it really is great. For a bunch of people who don't play metal, well, you wouldn't know it by listening.

Has anyone on here ever thought about putting a GN collaboration CD together? Take 10 or 12 of the most recent collabs and put them together as a CD for people to buy. Might even make a few bucks for GN. I know places like CafePress will let you upload the tunes, give them some images to use as the disc label and such, and then maybe add .50 or a dollar each and sell'em. I realize you can download the stuff and burn your own copy, but this would have the GN logo on it and help support the site and stuff. Course there may be legal issues I'm not aware of. Just an idea though.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 07/12/2006 4:09 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Oh yea, if you listen between 315-322 I just took my least favorite part of my solo and used the reverse effect on it and panned it from left to right ( cheap trick) :lol:

That is very cool Ken. I love that part too! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/12/2006 4:32 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

CnJ wrote: Has anyone on here ever thought about putting a GN collaboration CD together? Take 10 or 12 of the most recent collabs and put them together as a CD for people to buy. Might even make a few bucks for GN. I know places like CafePress will let you upload the tunes, give them some images to use as the disc label and such, and then maybe add .50 or a dollar each and sell'em. I realize you can download the stuff and burn your own copy, but this would have the GN logo on it and help support the site and stuff.
That's a great idea! I don't know how many jams fit on a CD, but maybe every 15 or 20 jams, a new CD could come out. Or if a year's worth of jams fit on a CD, issue them by year. Great Christmas gifts maybe?

But we'd need to add more than .50 or a dollar to the price, enough to cover postage, envelopes and the blank CD's and still make a donation to support the site. Still, I'd pay to get a gen-u-wine GN Jams CD.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 07/12/2006 5:54 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Oh yea, if you listen between 315-322 I just took my least favorite part of my solo and used the reverse effect on it and panned it from left to right ( cheap trick) :lol:

haha, I was wondering what the heck was going on there. Sounded cool, I think I'll steal that trick sometime.

Posted : 07/12/2006 6:57 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Enjoyed this one, guys -- nice work from every one of you.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 08/12/2006 2:55 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way cool, you all sounded good, Kalle sounds like your going to get a producer of the year award for this one.

Maybe some more metal BT's would be fun.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 08/12/2006 3:23 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Yes, I am The Demon Producer....

I have some other backing tracks in my back pocket (hard disk) that I want use when the big Funk jam contest is over...

I like to do music mixing and use recording/mixing SW, probably due to that I am a technician by profession-birth and like to listen to music.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 08/12/2006 6:19 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I downloaded that track to practice with can I ask you guys what key(s)/modes you used to solo with

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 08/12/2006 7:35 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I used Em Pentatonic.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 08/12/2006 7:42 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The main chords are E, A and C

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 08/12/2006 8:44 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Great Job Everybody 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 08/12/2006 9:21 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Very nice work! I would love to get involved in one of these collaborations, but I don't have the patience to figure out all the bells and whistles on the software that came with my Toneport. :oops:

Maybe over the long Christmas weekend I can figure it out, but my kids always find me when I hide in my studio!

Posted : 08/12/2006 9:26 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Very nice work! I would love to get involved in one of these collaborations, but I don't have the patience to figure out all the bells and whistles on the software that came with my Toneport. :oops:

Maybe over the long Christmas weekend I can figure it out, but my kids always find me when I hide in my studio!

Maybe the kids can help you figure it out :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 08/12/2006 10:57 pm
Page 2 / 3