Hang 'em High

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

are both competing for the same space

I'm sorry, but how do you mean that? As far as I know they are in different registers (two full octaves apart) and are in different positions on the virtual stage. There's little in the way of unisons or repeated octaves so auditory masking doesn't occur either. Can you elaborate on what kind of space you're talking about?
It'd be nice if Arjen posted the keys his pieces are in from now on

No problem. People are more then welcome to add their own touches to it or do whatever they want with it. :8

Posted : 05/02/2007 7:05 am
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

are both competing for the same space

I'm sorry, but how do you mean that? As far as I know they are in different registers (two full octaves apart) and are in different positions on the virtual stage. There's little in the way of unisons or repeated octaves so auditory masking doesn't occur either. Can you elaborate on what kind of space you're talking about?

What I'm referring to is there are times when the cello drowns out notes from the flute. I think the flute should come forward (crescendo) and the cello should diminuendo just slightly to hear the melody of the flute. The cello should accompany the flute not compete with it.

Also in the beginning the cello comes in to harshly for such the type of song. It would be nice for it to fade in and fade out. What I'm picturing here is some curtains blowing slowly in the wind, backwards and forwards or the ebb and flow of the tide, in and out, very fluid like.

I really like the composition, I just think there are some details that could make it even better.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Posted : 06/02/2007 1:46 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Very good composition. Lots of feeling. It sounds very well produced also!

Edit I woke up sober this morning and realized what I had done :shock:
What the heck! Give Big Bird back! I thought it was hilarious.... :lol:

On a more serious note, about this piece, Arjen....could you have posted a warning? Tissues required or something?? It's too incredibly sad. It's haunting and well done, but it actually takes an act of willpower on my part to listen to it.

So I guess that's a compliment of a different type--acknowledging the power in the music, but it's just too depressing for me to personally deal with. Put that bit in a movie soundtrack at a sad part......even the hardest heart will splinter. :cry:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 06/02/2007 3:01 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Amen Margeret.

I don't hear the cello drowning out the flutes notes at all. It sounds perfect on my speakers. Could your speakers be a factor here Ricola?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 06/02/2007 3:38 am
(@cringe)
Estimable Member

I haven't done any searching on this but has there been any projects such as what Smokehouse did with Arjens' tune. It could be fun to post unfinished songs and then post several versions with other peoples visions of what it should be (original songs not backing tracks). If it's already been done.... nevermind.

Posted : 06/02/2007 6:01 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ricola: ah, I see what you're getting at. In all honesty I'm not actually used to listening this kind of music. I can't even name a single tune for a cello and flute. What's more, I played this track myself instead of programming it in, and I'm not an expert in controlling the playing dynamics. I did try some cres./dim. (which is done with the mod wheel) but it didn't work out as well as it could, and in general the song is not as refined or elegantly performed as it could, or maybe even should. Thanks for pointing it out, I hope I can do better in this aspect next song. 8)

Margaret: Thanks, I guess. ;) I'm sorry it had that kind of effect, I fear I'm just no good at happy songs. :(

Cringe: I somewhat remember something like this but my mind is quite foggy on it. However, quite a few members have done collabs. For example the song Pbee and Hilch just did or the two songs Mike and I did some time ago. They are all done privately, so we only get to hear the finished result which is not what you're looking for, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the rest but it sounds like a fun idea. Ive got loads of work on my hand now but if I can find some time I wouldn't mind post some start where others can publicly start adding to.

Posted : 06/02/2007 7:17 pm
Page 2 / 2