Clear all

Lazy Days (Summertime)

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

There was a piano progression that was in this lesson DVD series that I'm going through that was a simple 5 chords, Am, Dm, Em, E, C and I thought it sounded really good and relaxing so I wanted to expand upon it. I had recorded an acoustic guitar rhythm with the same chords as for the piano, then I recorded the piano portion, and then added some lead melody from the basic melody line in the workbook.

I thought it sounded pretty good. I had someone at my work listen to it and they said "Hey this sounds like Summertime" and I said cool, that's the feel I wanted, a lazy summer day. Then he informed that Summertime was a song by George Gershwin, so I hope that it's not too close to it, I was kind of upset by that, I thought I had created something cool. Anyway, I thought I'd share it anyway, as it turns out I took a look at Gershwin on Youtube and it sounds kind of like it....what are ya going to do. :oops:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=866596&songID=7640798

Recorded with an Ibanez EW20QMENT Acoustic, Guitar Research JX17S Hollow Body with the Jazzy setting on my Boss MicroBR, and a Yamaha YPG-635 digital piano.

EDIT: SOMETHING WASN'T SOUNDING JUST RIGHT, SO I ADDED SOUND EFFECTS
EDIT 2: TURNS OUT THAT THE MUSIC IN THE PIANO BOOK WAS TAKEN AFTER SUMMERTIME, BUT TITLED SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO AVOID COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 28/05/2009 3:14 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

More, more! We want more! :D

Very cool! The only "bad" comment is that it is very short!

Very relaxing and fun. I think it has some notes similar to the Gershwin's melody but there are differences in the lengths and rhythm. In fact I listened it first and then I read your post and I didn't detect the similarities.

Congrats!

Posted : 28/05/2009 4:20 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

LOL. I think Gerswin wrote so many songs it would be near impossible not to stumble onto one.
yeah Joe. this does sound like Summertime. I have absolutely no problem with that. this is a great exercise in playing and recording. I am sure you will have learned a lot from the experience.
I agree with Nuno...too short.

whenever I play my ukulele invariably I stumble upon a classic melody. Steven Foster plays beautifully on four strings. the melody is right there. almost the same with Gerswin. he was a genius. I really like his melodies. the way he puts simple note intervals together into a moving and memorable melody is an art.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 28/05/2009 4:33 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool job, Joe.
You made it your own; you just didn't know it was someone else's to start with. :wink:
Like the other guys said: Stretch it out. You've got a great vibe going there.
:)

Don

Posted : 28/05/2009 4:50 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks to both of you! Appreciate the feedback! (All three of you, I got yours BoxBoy as I was writing my response :D )

I had no idea who Gershwin was before I did this LOL.

And I do agree it's too short. It was just in my head for about a week before I felt I had to get it down before I forgot it, and I had about an hour to record it last night while my kid was being good and the wife was working out with the wii fit.

Later when I was at work did I finally feel like I should add some oceanic stuff to it. I tried to get the wave crashing to swell during the lulls and back off during the lead parts, but swell at the end lead progression. It was also kind of hard to get an ocean recording that matched the water flow of the sound effects of the seagulls.

I think once I'm done with the songs for the 4th of July show I'm playing at I'll revisit this and make it longer.

Thanks!

Posted : 28/05/2009 4:52 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Whoa!
Surfs up! :mrgreen:
Yeh, nice addition . . . the sound affects.
If you ever do "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" you gotta use that sound effect.
Very cool, Joe.
Your fingers are pulling off a cool sound . . . magic.

I enjoyed.

Nuno's right . . . too short . . . a glimpse of paradise on the beach and . . . .
(poof)
. . . we're whisked back to harsh reality. :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 28/05/2009 4:56 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Nuno's right . . . too short . . . a glimpse of paradise on the beach and . . . .
(poof)
. . . we're whisked back to harsh reality. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I agree, but Reality is a Harsh Mistress right? :?

Posted : 29/05/2009 3:15 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That was cool!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 29/05/2009 5:16 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks TR, appreciate it!

Posted : 30/05/2009 11:57 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

Do us all a favour.... :roll:

At 55 seconds, start adding a nice soft drum beat, bring the sound levels up, lower the waves. - another 55 seconds, more of the start, then as the sun goes down, the waves crashing on the rocks....

Lovely!

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 01/06/2009 9:55 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Sounds like a perfect candidate to use my new Band in a Box 2009 software!

Thanks for the input Dylan! I think that would work out pretty well, and tell a musical story as well. I just have to figure out how it works now :lol:

Posted : 02/06/2009 3:01 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I had to make some lemonade after hearing this, very nice.

#4491....

Posted : 02/06/2009 9:52 am
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member

yeah its too short.. but i do still love it.. nice playing.. you can add more tracks to have more meaningful..

http://www.soundclick.com/etmphils
http://www.youtube.com/edwinmendiola78
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ETM/69309099145?ref=search

Posted : 04/06/2009 3:49 pm