Clear all

Folsum Prison Blues

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, I've been sitting on this one for nearly a month now. I was just kind of fiddling around one afternoon and decided to do some Country. This was surprisingly an easier song to sing than most. It's probably my most natural singing voice and I was quite at ease. I cringe every time I listen to it.

Not sure what makes me so self concious about this one? Whatever. Here it is.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7644331

Subsequent takes stunk because I got self aware or something along that line.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/05/2009 12:59 am
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Wow you managed to sing the main verse melody an octave lower than Johnny did it.

Nice!

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

Posted : 29/05/2009 3:19 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice Roy! I really didn't think that anyone could get lower than Johnny Cash. :)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 29/05/2009 3:34 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Awsome Roy! I enjoyed that. Keep em coming. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 29/05/2009 5:13 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I bet you are good at Limbo; 'how low can you go?'.

a great song. fun to play and sing. I covered it way back.

is this your natural (comfortable) singing pitch? man, that's low.
remember to push more air for the low notes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 29/05/2009 10:29 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

is this your natural (comfortable) singing pitch? man, that's low.
I'm afraid that this is my natural pitch. Probably explains the difficulties singing Neil Young songs. :oops: I think Electrablue once told me to just sing an octave lower than Neil. I still can't get that high. :oops:

Thanks guys for the kind words and for listening. I guess you can see why I hesitated so long in posting this. This is natural singing voice for me. No effort required. Quite odd, I think. I can send the family into a belly laugh imitating Def Lepard style vocals because they think I'm purposely trying to goof it up so bad. Good thing I've got a sense of humor. :lol:

So, what is that in vocal terms, besides awful? Baritone, or something?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/05/2009 10:51 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

baritone.
I think if you can sing, but are not trying hard enough.
loosen up and let it out.
we's all friends here.

Posted : 29/05/2009 2:40 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

baritone.
I think if you can sing, but are not trying hard enough.
loosen up and let it out.
we's all friends here.
Well, you're right about one thing. I wasn't trying hard enough. It was almost effortless. I've yet to decide if that's good or not. I think the next song I'm gonna work on with my natural voice will be "City Of New Orleans". I think I feel more comfortable singing like that if I've heard Cash do it. :roll:

I have a real serious case of performance anxiety. Must cure before visiting the old folks later this summer.

Roy

Posted : 29/05/2009 3:12 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done Roy! Nice and deep voice!

Posted : 29/05/2009 3:47 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Wow, a real step up vocals wise, Roy.
Nice going. 8)
You'll be ready for your gig, don't sweat it.
:)

Don

Posted : 29/05/2009 6:38 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Very Nice Roy!

Really enjoyed the vocals

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 29/05/2009 7:21 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow. Thanks guys! I'm really stunned. Like I said, I've been sitting on this. I made it on May 4th.

I must say that I expected much different feed-back than things as positive as you guys are saying. Sounds like I might be on the right track then. For what, I don't know.

How very strange it is. I never even like my voice on voice mail play-back. <shivers>

I remember doing a sing-a-long in 8th grade once and was laughed at for sounding like a fog-horn. :lol:

I guess my career as a Neil Young cover vocalist is finished before even getting started. :cry:

Roy

Posted : 29/05/2009 7:38 pm
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow. Thanks guys! I'm really stunned. Like I said, I've been sitting on this. I made it on May 4th.

I must say that I expected much different feed-back than things as positive as you guys are saying. Sounds like I might be on the right track then. For what, I don't know.

How very strange it is. I never even like my voice on voice mail play-back. <shivers>

I remember doing a sing-a-long in 8th grade once and was laughed at for sounding like a fog-horn. :lol:

I guess my career as a Neil Young cover vocalist is finished before even getting started. :cry:

Haha, just keep singin'.

I'm not sure that I'm really one to give advice, but what I did was I just kept making recordings. Lots and lots of them, and I'd pick out the imperfections in my voice and try to eliminate them. I'm still not satisfied, and I never will be, but It definitely helps.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

Posted : 30/05/2009 5:02 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure that I'm really one to give advice, but what I did was I just kept making recordings. Lots and lots of them, and I'd pick out the imperfections in my voice and try to eliminate them. I'm still not satisfied, and I never will be, but It definitely helps.

Sounds like a logical thing to do. Thanks for the tip. :)

Roy

Posted : 30/05/2009 11:15 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ok Roy. if you had enough of the positive responses....?
IMHO. I think you can play and sing. I think you need to put yourself out there more.
my feeling is that you don't commit enough to the song; words and chords.
perform the song from now on once you have learned it. over time the effort with make you an even better player and singer.
give Hoyt Axton and Junior Brown a listen. they have deep voices. Hoyt's interesting. J B is killer.
was that too mean?

Posted : 30/05/2009 7:08 pm
Page 1 / 2