21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

was that too mean?
Not at all, db. Not at all.

It's quite a paradigm shift for me. I went from trying to cover up my voice to trying to figure out how to use it properly in the span of about 2 days. I still won't sing out like that right now because others are in the house. I did let my wife hear the song, but not until this morning. I had to leave the room, and there ain't nuthin' she don't know about me. :? I've not no problem singing lightly to myself when playing while she's in the room. I am confused.

Your preperation shows up well in the songs you post. All of my stuff I've posted has been only a couple of takes and very little practice. My concentration level isn't quite there right now, and for quite understandable reasons. Hopefully the pressure release valve will be open and my regimen greatly decreased soon. In the meantime, I'll just bounce around like a 7 year old with serious ADD. Seriously though, I would also like it to remain a sing & play or otherwise "live".

Well, enough of that. Time to go forward. I'm thinking of song possibilities. I'll make sure I play it at least twice a day. THAT much I can do for sure, 'cept for a few days -> few weeks starting on the 10th. I'm looking for something along the same pace as "Folsom Prison Blues". Any slower and my voice gets REALLY deep. I'm not kidding. Here are some thoughts.

#1: The first one to come to mind was "City Of New Orleans". A bit of a long song and perhaps a bit too vocally challenging.
#2: "Rainy Night In Georgia" is easy enough to play an easy version, but way too advanced a song, vocally speaking.
#3: "Ring Of Fire" is short and sweet. So too is...
#4: "I walk The Line", but I don't quite have that Country shuffle down well. It's kind of a Bass song really.
#5: I can just stick to "Folsum Prison Blues". Same issue that I have with #4 though.

It sucks. My best guitar playing is all on songs that are probably, at this point, not suited well for my vocals. If I understand things correctly, I could always do them a few octaves lower, but in key and still be alright, right? If so, maybe "Dead Flowers" or "Fire On The Mountain". Perhaps "Main Street" or "Turn The Page" by Bob Seeger.

Neil Young is right out.

Thanks for the names, btw. I'll check them out of YouTube.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/05/2009 9:39 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I remember Hoyt Axton! Yeah, check that out.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 31/05/2009 12:09 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh yeah! How about Crash Test Dummies? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 31/05/2009 12:11 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh yeah! How about Crash Test Dummies? :lol:

Um, I did download someone's "God Shuffled His Feet" album chord sheet. Do I lose cool points or something? :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/05/2009 1:16 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Walk the Line is very hard, Roy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 01/06/2009 12:54 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Walk the Line is very hard, Roy.
+1

I've decided on "City of New Orleans". It's a decent paced song, not too much emphasis on vocals compared to "Rainy Night In Georgia". There are a couple lines still to work out as well as one chord transition with a very slight, but still noticable timing issue.

I recorded my 3rd time through the song this morning. Sounds like I'm hitting the notes.

Roy

Posted : 01/06/2009 1:46 pm
Page 2 / 2