Honorable Member

heeheehee :lol:

Posted : 20/04/2008 10:54 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Most excellent - how about a gospel choir in the bridge? :roll:

Rocks off!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/04/2008 9:49 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

oooooh, that's a great idea.

Posted : 22/04/2008 10:47 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Nick, any chance of you sending me the individual tracks so I can play around with them a bit?

Posted : 22/04/2008 11:38 am
(@davidhodge)

Boy, you go away for a while and look what happens! :wink:

Couldn't get the Berkshire Brothel & Bath booked for your show, but I'm working on a few other, um, places of business...

Be kind enough to remind me to not wear the Hawaiian shirt Kathy gave me when we play this!

Thanks for making me laugh!

Peace

Posted : 26/04/2008 12:49 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I guess that's what you call "poking fun." :mrgreen:

I think you really need a Johnson for that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 26/04/2008 1:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Funny stuff, Nick. In the spirit of Red Peters and maybe John Valby.

So, and I'm not sure why I thought of this now, but I hope the Riverside Jam thing you guys have going on......that name's not a metaphor for that song's subject, right???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/04/2008 3:50 am
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

So where's MY verse???

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 26/04/2008 5:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, i thought about posting a reply - and then I thought again. Then I thought some more, then thought again.

I hate being the lone dissenting voice, but I really don't like songs like this - it strikes me as the kind of stuff you'd snigger over in the sixth form. Or be shocked by. Nick, I know you can write really good songs - "One By One" is a song, for instance, that deserves a larger audience than just GN members. I've read other stuff you've written - there was a clever one in the early days of the SSG in Spanish, for instance.

it's probably the subject matter - it's a total turn-off to me. I don't want to be the party-pooper (no pun intended) and maybe it's my Catholic upbringing, although it's a long time since I was a practising Catholic. I have a step-son who's gay - and flamboyantly gay, at that. Fair enough - it's his life, and what he does with it is his business. And that's the point I'm trying to make - it's his business. What he does, or what you do, is your business. Not mine. I really don't need - or want - the gory details.

So sorry for raining on your parade, but you want honest critiques, yes? Mine is, I don't like it. Or rather, I don't like the subject matter. The voice is fine, the guitar's fine, the arrangement's fine... nothing to quibble at there. I'd rather see you spend your writing talents on subject matter more worthy of your intellect.

As always, just MY opinion - and just to set the record straight, you know how much I love the Stones? I always hated "Some Girls" - the line about the black girls in particular, used to make me cringe every time I heard it. Again, all down to the subject matter.

OK, you did warn us - I chose to disregard the warning and plunge in regardless, I was one of the sharks drawn to the blood - and I probably shouldn't say anything at all, as I've been having a few drinks. But hell, if I stay silent then my opinion's worth nothing - like not voting, then moaning about the government.

Nick, sorry once again, but this really isn't my cuppa tea, mate!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/04/2008 10:39 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

No need to be sorry. It doesn't need to be everyone's cuppa tea.

By the way, this song is 100% heterosexually based. Though I could see how you might not see it that way. Maybe I need to work the gender in a bit. Anyway It's about not bringing flowers, not going shopping, not doing nice things anymore for your significant other, it's about not doing the little things and a man telling his girlfriend/wife "I know I don't do that stuff anymore, but baby, when I say this it does mean I love you".

Otherwise it would just be a cheap shot.

And although I am cheap, and easy, and a bit slutty... I don't take cheap shots at others, only myself.

But no offense taken...

Kathy, I'd love to send you the backing track if you want to sing your verse. I'll edit it in. That would fix the gender problem, wouldn't it? Maybe we could start the very beginning with some chatter,

She: You know what today is?
He: Tuesday?
She: No, you jerk. It's our anniversary.
He: Oh, happy anniversary
She: You never bring me flowers anymore.
He: But darlin', I say I love you all the time
She: No you don't, I can't remember the last time you said it
He: Baby, you just have to know how to listen....
*song fades in*

Posted : 26/04/2008 11:00 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

By the way, this song is 100% heterosexually based.

Yes, I did get that - maybe I confused the issue a little by bringing in the step-son. He's fun, don't get me wrong - but sometimes, he goes over the top a little and that's when I tend to cringe and shrnk into the background.

And yes, I understand the explanation. And though I'm in the position in the moment of certainly not bringing flowers, and not doing nice things (though I could - I just feel it's a waste of effort) and I stil have to do the shopping, I certainly wouldn't FHITA - I wouldn't have done that on a good day, and they are few and far between these days!
And although I am cheap, and easy, and a bit slutty... I don't take cheap shots at others, only myself.
Fair enough....a man in your position (Administrator/God) has got to be able to take a few shots, cheap or otherwise - and I've never known you take a cheap shot.
But no offense taken...

Good, you can obviously take it as well as dish it out.....No REAL offence taken here, Nick, I just thought the subject matter below your obvious intellect/writing skills....I'm sure you could find a more worthy subject.

And now I've labelled myself the class prude, I'll go and hide in a corner somewhere......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/04/2008 11:27 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

And now I've labelled myself the class prude, I'll go and hide in a corner somewhere......
Hey if it comes down to prude vs crude, I'm in the line labeled prude.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 27/04/2008 2:37 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Me too.

I think as long as crude humor is done subtly, as it is in my song, then it's okay.

Posted : 27/04/2008 3:04 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

So where's MY verse???

look out Monterey ...

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 27/04/2008 3:31 pm
Page 3 / 3