My Street - My first Ever Original

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

gulp

Better vocal versions forthcoming, i hope, but here it is.

Here it is. Please have patience. It does pick up later in the song.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11847573

The long story of the song.

I don't even know where to begin with this one. Here goes nothing?

This is my first ever original song. This is where I've been for 6 months.

First, the format. I hope you'll give each section a try. It changes tempo a few times. I've marked the big changes with

Song Format
0:00 - 0:44 (14-Bars 1 thru 14) Intro
0:44 - 1:09 (8-Bars 15 thru 22) Verse 1a
1:09 - 1:34 (8-Bars 23 thru 30) Verse 1b
1:34 - 2:00 (8-Bars 31 thru 38) Chorus 1

2:00 - 2:09 (3-Bars 39 thru 41) Transition 1

2:09 - 2:34 (8-Bars 42 thru 49) Verse 2a
2:34 - 3:00 (8-Bars 50 thru 58) Verse 2b
3:00 - 3:25 (8-Bars 58 thru 65) Chorus 2
3:25 - 3:34 (3-Bars 66 thru 68) Transition 2

3:34 - 4:00 (8-Bars 69 thru 76) Verse 3a
4:00 - 4:25 (8-Bars 77 thru 84) Verse 3b
4:25 - 4:50 (8-Bars 85 thru 92) Chorus 3

4:50 - 4:53 (1-Bar 93) Transition 3

4:53 - 5:34 (13-Bars 94 thru 106) Outro 1***

I had to learn how to do everything you hear. I did all the engineering, mixing, tracking, effects, etc, etc. It was all new to me. This is my first time for a ton of what you hear. I even had to step away from my strummy guitar comfort zone.

I played everything except for the drums, one pad and a short tambourine sample. The drums I programmed MIDI and used Pro Tool's "Strike" drum software. The 7 guitar, two piano, two synth and bass parts were all done by me.

I also did the vocals, and for that, I apologize. This is the better version of all the vocals I've tried. Hopefully it's bearable.

I had an absolutely enormous amount of help from GN's own Boxboy. he listened to an astounding amount of takes and samples of various bits many times per week for 6 months. He was always keen with thoughts and suggestions and brave enough to issue a thumbs down on ideas gone bad. He did so without even having a feel for where this song was heading due to my 6 month day of recording vocals. So Boxby, thanks for absolutely everything! I would never have finished my first project without you.

My wife also took out some time and gave me quite a bit of feedback, thoughts and notes as well as enduring all of my attempts of vocals to pick out a vocal style least grating on one's nerves. Incidently, she is going to address the lyrics and try to do the vocals herself. Yay!!!!!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/08/2012 6:12 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

So the secret is finally out, way to go Roy. Can't listen at work but I will later but even before I do that I have to give you props regardless of how the song sounds for sticking with it and having to learn all the mixing etc. I know that had to be alot of work.

It doesn't matter if this is good or bad you already made great strides by getting this first one, each one should get easier and easier.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 23/08/2012 6:23 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

So the secret is finally out, way to go Roy. Can't listen at work but I will later but even before I do that I have to give you props regardless of how the song sounds for sticking with it and having to learn all the mixing etc. I know that had to be alot of work.

It doesn't matter if this is good or bad you already made great strides by getting this first one, each one should get easier and easier.
Ditto! Sounds like you put a lot into it... Your ahead of me... so im not one to commont on things.. and None of you have heard my singing.... so whos to say whats good, and bad... But if you allow one comment. I would shorten the first half a bit, or maybe brake it up with a chorus or bridge or something. Seems to go on a bit. Agean... Im noone to talk.. Find something to realy HOOK the listener in, and hold them.

Paul B

Posted : 23/08/2012 6:59 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice job Roy! I think your getting the heck of this stuff. You are inspiring me to get writing again. I do have a vacation coming up. Who knows. That was sounding pretty polished. Your new toys work!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 23/08/2012 7:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I forgot to mention that the song picks up quite a bit of energy at the end. The 4:53 mark. There's some rocking tones some might like there. I tried to leave more of it in there, but it really didn't fit a whole lot. I learned some things for later though.

The first part of the song was longer.

TR, I forgotto tell you that the acoustic coming in at 3:34 is through my Sansamp. It's turing out to be quite the handy tool. My first bass track was through it as well, but I went with a found preset on the 11R.

Guys, an early thanks for giving it a listen so far. I've not been this nervous over anything non-medical in a long, long time.
Find something to realy HOOK the listener in, and hold them.

Ooooh, so that's what I gotta do. :lol: :lol: (J/K)
Yeah, right. Maybe another 8 years. Probably longer. :roll: :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/08/2012 7:58 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I've not been this nervous over anything non-medical in a long, long time

No need to be. It was nice work. I cant wait to hear the next ones!!

Paul B

Posted : 23/08/2012 9:25 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Paul. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm doing a cover next . Got it started. "Everybody Hurts". I am trying to stray away from original, though. Some sort of grand ideals about making the song my own. Hah! I need "my own" to exsist before that can happen. It'll be fun, though. 8)

Roy

Posted : 23/08/2012 9:36 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thanks, Paul. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm doing a cover next . Got it started. "Everybody Hurts". I am trying to stray away from original, though. Some sort of grand ideals about making the song my own. Hah! I need "my own" to exsist before that can happen. It'll be fun, though. 8)

Cool!!

Paul B

Posted : 23/08/2012 9:46 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Nice job on an ambitious project! Yes, the singing could use some work, but at least you're staying on pitch pretty well.

It seemed to me that the drums were not exactly in synch with everything else. Maybe that was the intent.

Renee

Posted : 23/08/2012 11:48 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice job on an ambitious project! Yes, the singing could use some work, but at least you're staying on pitch pretty well.

It seemed to me that the drums were not exactly in synch with everything else. Maybe that was the intent.
Thanks Hobson. My wife said she heard a spot or two that sounded off. Must be that humanizing feature in Strike being too effective. either that, or I have everything else off and it's making the drums seem off.

Thanks again for listening. :D :D

Roy

Posted : 24/08/2012 12:41 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I like it, Roy! Good song!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/08/2012 12:52 am
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out, I tried counting through it and kept getting behind the 1 on the drums. I couldn't figure out what was wandering. Did you use a click track?

Posted : 24/08/2012 2:30 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I like it, Roy! Good song!
Thanks Jeff! :D :D

re:drums
The drums were programmed via MIDI and the pencil tool. Drum audio tracked by itself to avoid glitches from too many things going on at once. All drum audio and MIDI line up with grids, even expanded grids, throughout song. I'm sure my playing is not perfect, but the drums - in theory - should be close to perfect at the very worst.
Did you use a click track?
Click-track used during early stages, drums used for later stages. I use the bass track when I can early on as well. I create a midi version using a V.I., and then do a for real version after much practice. If I don't hear the bass and the main beats of the drum, I'd be all over the place. I'm pretty sure I laid down an initial drum track very early on, quickly followed by the fake bass track. Both have long dissolved into digital dust.
Yeah, I couldn't figure it out, I tried counting through it and kept getting behind the 1 on the drums. I couldn't figure out what was wandering.
What means this, "kept getting behind the 1"?

Roy

Posted : 24/08/2012 12:29 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I kept loosing the 1st beat of the measure - after a few listens it seems to happen around two minute when the drums drop out then return. The lead guitar fills deviate from the rhythm and its disorienting. Would you post a version without the lead fills and vocals? I'd like to hear the backing tracks.

Posted : 24/08/2012 1:36 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here's the song without vocals and the lead fill guitar. Thanks for giving it all the listens. 8) 8)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11849561

Roy

Posted : 24/08/2012 2:06 pm
Page 1 / 2