Clear all

Parody song

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Let me put the disclaimer up front: this is absolutely NOT an endorsement or political statement. This is not an endorsement of either John McCain or Barack Obama. The lyrics are written as a joke. Story is below...

Recently Gretchen Wilson was sued by The Black Crowes because of the melody of one of her songs was very similar to "Jealous Again". Listening to her song, I noticed the chorus ended very similar to J.J. Cale's "Cocaine". It ends "I work hard, I work hard, I work hard, I play harder". John Rich was a co-writer on that song. The next day I saw an article saying John Rich had written and recorded a campaign song for John McCain, which made me wonder if he had ripped off another classic rock song. Then I realized, "Cocaine" was the perfect one to steal from again. So I re-wrote "Cocaine" the way I imagined John Rich would have wrote it.

My singing is horrible and the guitar playing is pretty bad, I just wanted to get it laid down and both guitar parts are 1st takes (the solo took 3). And yes, I know my timing was off in places.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6791792

Lyrics
If you're gonna go vote
You got to vote for John...McCain
If you wanna stay in
Stay in Iraq...McCain
He don't lie, he don't lie, he don't lie...McCain

It'll be bad news
If you vote for blues...McCain (Blues = Democrats)
He's not yet done
Not too old to run...McCain
He won't die, he won't die, he won't die...McCain

When the vote is done
You'll see that he won...McCain
Don't forget this fact
Obama is black, not...McCain
Yes he's white, he is white, he is white...McCain

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 08/08/2008 7:19 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

:lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Oh, and in replying to this song done by JWMartin, hereby referred to as "The Song", I in know way endorse the candicacy of either candidate being mentioned in The Song, nor do I condone any candidates actions (or in-actions) that inspired Jim's (The self-claimed creator of The Song) lyrics......real or implied. :P

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 08/08/2008 7:42 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'm a JJ Cale fanatic, Jeff, so you've got my vote!
:)

Don

Posted : 08/08/2008 8:55 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Very good parody, JW.

Lots of potential for more lyrics too.
The name McCain is loaded with words that rhyme.

Use your brain
Presidential campaign
Must be insane
Don't complain
Disdain
Explain
Etc.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/08/2008 8:59 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Dang, I didn't even think about swapping in other words in place of "McCain". I may have to do a re-write. :D

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 08/08/2008 9:01 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's a hoot!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:31 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Too funny, great job!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 08/08/2008 11:04 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

:lol:
Love it Jeff! That was awesome. You have a Tom petty thing going on there in the vocals. I really like it!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 09/08/2008 3:44 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Really funny! I was wondering when someone was going to parody this campaign on here.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 09/08/2008 4:20 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice song. guitar is solid. don't run for president of singing. LOL.
just kidding. your voice is cool. it comes across in the recording best when you put the feeling behind it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 09/08/2008 11:34 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

:lol: Good parody! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/08/2008 4:35 pm