Clear all

Screw the neighbours!

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just posted a new song on my soundclick site - be interested in any opinions.....I know the vocals are pretty crap, but I do like the riff and the bass I've added - please let me know what you think? I may just add a slide solo......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/03/2006 6:49 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

lmao! That's great man, I wish I didn't have any neighbors as well.

Posted : 24/03/2006 7:33 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Cool song 8) Kind of reminds me of Mott the Hoople, I can see Arial doing the lead guitar!!! Hmmmm....Talk to ya later bout this one---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 24/03/2006 11:48 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

I didn't see your link, and the WWW only led me to SoundClick. But I did a search and found your songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

I agree with SmokinDog, it did remind me of Mott the Hoople. But also, the chords reminded me of Bad Company, the punk style reminded me a little of the Sex Pistols, and the vocals also sounded a little David Bowie to me.

Pretty great song. I think you are a good singer. Keep singing.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 25/03/2006 12:33 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Nice playing I like blink of an eye

Posted : 25/03/2006 1:32 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

Great song! Your vocals are too cool too! 8) I think a slide solo in there would be sweet. Good job! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/03/2006 3:16 am
(@rocketgirl)
Reputable Member

Vic,

I really like your song. Had me singing along at the end.

I would like to hear the vocal a bit more though.

Good job, G.

Posted : 25/03/2006 11:29 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very cool, Vic! Have to agree with others, though........... would LOVE to hear more vocals!!! :D The guitar is great!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/03/2006 5:23 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Good one Vic,

Listening to that riff I thought you were heading in the direction of "Caroline" - Quo.

Then the vocal started and I knew you'd definitely screwed those people next door and there would be no Status Quo.

Was it Quo influenced Vic? or am I way off.

Let it rip.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 25/03/2006 8:29 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A bit of Quo in the riff, a bit of Mott in the vocals .... anyway, I've re-mixed it, you can hear the vocals now......

Just needs a slide solo - to be added in the AM....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/03/2006 1:38 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

or even Monday morning - or PM....I WILL get it done!

Vic

Posted : 27/03/2006 12:49 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I liked it a lot (check your pm), and yah, it's Mottish now that people mention it. I still go with the Faces sorta riffing going on there. Maybe a bit of that as well.

The bass fits in quite well. I can't wait to hear it when you add the slide.

As far as the voice - can't really discern the 'crap'-ness of it. Sounds fine to me - even on the other songs, like Devil's on the Loose, and that folksy one. Nothing wrong there.

Maybe it's just you hearing something that nobody else can, lol. ;)

But yah, the songwriting's up there. I'd love to hear these pieces done up a bit more - you could have a tidy little album going on there! They 'seem' like they don't have a particular 'style' to them, some being fingerpicked or strummed or of different genres, but the thing is, a voice, a singer's voice can become, as already proven by the likes of Sting, Colin Haye, etc, it's own 'style' regardless of the genres it goes in to. The voice would tie it all together in your case.

Kind of refreshing hearing songwriting like this, where there's unexpected stuff and things that step out a little bit. I mean these days lots of people either go way into the technical/theoretical side of things (or jazz), or they go the blues route, and...sometimes they forget about just singing a melody and finding the chords and going for it that way. It's like if a person doesn't 'think' genre, it's pretty liberating usually, even if they wind up writing the thing in some genre. It's like it happens by itself and isn't a preconception.

Keep going Vic; you got some gems there!

Posted : 27/03/2006 3:58 pm