Clear all

Some Country Blues

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kind of based on a thread last night about strong vocal mixes in songs, I remembered this beauty that the Notting Hillbillies (Mark Knopfler was part of project) covered almost 20 years ago. I think it was an old George Jones song, but I can't remember.

At any rate, I never could play the thing and shelved it. After some enlightening posts, this attempt #2. That's it. No additional takes or anything. I ran through the song once and hit the record button for the 2nd one to see what it sounded like. I was pretty thrilled that it came out like this so early on that I just had to share it.

At any rate, "I Feel Like Going Home".
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=833547

Dogbite, if you're at all interested, I could really work on this if you feel like doing some of your tasty slide work. Maybe find someone with far better vocals than me too. (*cough* blueline *cough*) Or anyone. I have not heard most folk sing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/08/2008 3:04 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

LOL...I've not listened to the song (I'm at work and running to a meeting) But I will as soon as I can. Would be absolutely thrilled to participate. Thanks so much for thinking of me. :D :D Will check back in asap.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/08/2008 4:35 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great to hear these posts, Roy.
You're really feeling it. 8)
I youtubed the song and it was by Charlie Rich...what a voice!
:)

Don

Posted : 12/08/2008 4:46 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Don! Yup, I'm feeling it big time. Still afraid to let go vocally, but getting there. It'll come....and I'll get arrested for disturbing the laws of decency. :lol:

Yeah, Charlie Rich. That's it. I have not heard that name in some time. Gonna you tube it now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/08/2008 4:57 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a really slow song...you are fearless. the chords sound so familiar. I can't put my finger on it.
yeah. I could add some slide. what's the key?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 13/08/2008 10:56 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Woo Hoo! This'll be fun. 8)

Two keys. Starts off in G and goes to E for the outro verse.

Here's the rough chord chart I found and used. The other version I found uses G throughout, but I did this one first and stuck with it. I liked the key switch for whatever reason.

I'll do a bit of a better chord chart, things like marking instrumentals, outro, etc, and send it. In the meantime, if you're good with the basic chart, I'll start practicing and give you something much better to work with. I'll record the guitar part directly instead of amp mic'ing, etc.

Blueline: Still interested? Vocals? Accompanying guitar? Whatever else you and Dogbite can think of?
Feel Like Going Home

G D Em G
Lord I feel like going home
C Am G D
I tried and I failed and I'm tired and weary
G D Em G
Everything I ever done was wrong
C Am G D
And I feel like going home

G D Em G
Lord I tried to see it through
C Am G D
But it was too much for me
G D Em G
And now I'm coming home to you
C Am G D

G D Em G
Cloudy skies are rolling in
C Am G D
And not a friend around to help me
G D Em G
From all the places I have been
C Am G

E (change of key)

A E F#m A
Lord I feel like going home

D Bm A E
I tried and I failed and I'm tired and weary

A E F#m A
Everything I ever done was wrong

D Bm A E

Roy

Posted : 13/08/2008 11:22 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Yeah, I'm in. Whatever you need me to do bro. I just listened to it. Good job man! Listening to the Notting Hillbillies version now. Like dog said, slow tune...gonna be adventurous. Will have to dig deep for this one. :lol: You thinking about putting strings or organ in there?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 13/08/2008 1:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nothing points out one's aloneness in the universe like a 10-foot golf putt or a slow song to play. :mrgreen:

Hmmm, that was deep. On with the show.

I'm hardly qualified to arrange something, BUT, I am willing to take a stab just to start the dialog. My initial thoughts was to have me do the basic slow rhythm and 'dog do the fills and lead with his steel or reg guitar or whatever he wants. I'm thinking out loud right now, but I can imagine some sort of slow-walking arpeggio thing as a sort of an embellishment or flavor layer or something. I'm open to anything and bow to you and 'Dog's expertise.

Oh, and speaking of which. Dogbite, I know you're really busy with house marketing and other projects. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want. It's just an honor to be able to "play" with you and Blueline, period.

Vocals: I just had a thought. Maybe do like those star-studded benefit things and each take a verse. 3 verses in in G and one in E.

Roy

Posted : 13/08/2008 2:35 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Vocals: I just had a thought. Maybe do like those star-studded benefit things and each take a verse. 3 verses in in G and one in E.

Brilliant idea!

There's also the bass line to consider!

Posted : 13/08/2008 3:13 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nothing points out one's aloneness in the universe like a 10-foot golf putt or a slow song to play.
Especially if you miss the putt!

Great tune, look forward to hearing the collaboration on this!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 14/08/2008 2:58 am
(@alien)
Estimable Member

Nice job. The vocals are a bit low in the mix though.
I ran through the song once and hit the record button for the 2nd one to see what it sounded like.

I have a 3-take rule. If I can't do a track reasonably well in 3 takes => practice and try again another day.
I have not heard most folk sing.

Working on it...

Posted : 16/08/2008 12:46 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good job Roy! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 16/08/2008 8:55 pm