Notifications
Clear all

The Killer Contest

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

This was a lot of fun to record (you can tell on mine I didn't want to stop playing at the end), and it's great to hear everyone's take on this classic song. Kudos to everyone involved, and thanks to the Dog for hosting! I listened to everyone's track twice and took notes while I was trying to decide who to vote for...

Kalle - I like your phrasing a lot, and you've got a few nice bends in there, but throw some sliding and hammer-on / pull-offs and it'll sparkle nicely.

OWA - very progressive! You're pretty good at using those effects; I don't have any idea how to do anything useful with effects like that. I really like the sound at the end of #2. (Is that a leslie cab simulator or something?) You're probably going to hate this, but I'm going to break out the comparison to the Pink Floyd Sound too. Seriously, I know you don't like them (and I totally understand, if your only exposure has been things that get radio play, like "Money" or "Another Brick in the Wall") but you might want to check out two little tracks called "Echoes" and "One of these Days"...

Dog - man, you've got everything in there. :) Love the bend up / down / back up / hold with vibrato bits.

Taso - great tone there. You and Dog have some great licks, you two should record something trading licks back and forth...

Chuckster - Nice slow burn sorta feel. I think you could do with a little more digging in (harder attack) every now and then, and I'd probably turn up the gain a bit to get a little more crunch when you do dig in, but that's just me.

Me - You know, I'd recorded this a couple weeks ago and sort of forgot what the heck I played. I'm glad it wasn't anything too embarassing. Thanks to everyone who listened. :)

A&L - Dan's right, the "less-is-more" approach works well here. You don't have to play a lot of notes, if you just play the right ones. Very laid-back and cool sounding.

Dan T - Nice job with the multi-tracking, and I really love the bit at the end that gets all frantic and then slows down just in time for the end.

Celt - Ah, another progressive track. Nice use of effects, a little more subtle than OWA. What did you use to make your guitar sound like a keyboard there? Good job here with the multitracking too.

I think I have to throw down for Taso, though it was close between him and smokindog.

TZ

Posted : 11/04/2007 12:58 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah, we just started talking about doing SOMETHING together. I really wanted to do the kind of thing where we throw licks at eachother, take them, change them, create a dialogue. I know Ken is the kind of guitarist that can do that, and I think after a little back and forth I'll get the hang of it, but we don't have anyway to do it: We'd need live sound really. Not sure how to go about it.

We talked about one of us doing a solo for 12 bars, than the other, than the other, etc, but not nearly as cool (for me at least) as trading licks back and forth...We also talked about one person recording, and then the other play a line over it, but still, same thing as the last really.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 11/04/2007 1:56 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Great work everyone. I've been looking forward to this and I wasn't disappointed.

I haven't cast a vote yet - I want to listen to each track in turn a few more times to do them justice. Sadly it's Mrs Chucksters birthday today so obviously I won't be spending much time here. :roll: It may have to wait for the weekend but I will vote and may also leave comments on each one as some previous posters have done (Nice touch BTW).

Thanks to those who have commented so far.

And a big thanks as always to Ken for hosting this. Once again a great job.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 11/04/2007 4:06 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

i vote for all those who never had one! thats the way to keep the peace :lol: smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 14/04/2007 1:14 pm
Page 2 / 2