Skip to content
When the train come...

Notifications
Clear all

When the train comes in (warning: on the edge of music)

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This is a song I wrote a year ago or so but never bothered to upload because with this is really stretching it. This song is based on a British stageplay of which I saw a videotape in the first year of highschool. The entire play (lasting over an hour IIRC) showed nothing more then a minute-long shot of a railway station. Every actor was moving but at such a superslow speed that it was impossible to notice it. Only closing your eyes for a while you could see them changing position. I remembered it last year and decided that was a pretty cool idea for a piece of'music.

So this song is not about a melody or chord progression but about movement. Slow movement. The song basically consists of a drum with two 'melodies', each one consisting of two tracks (called 'core' and 'slave'). The first one would start at the left and have a copy of it an octave higher on the right side and the other track would the opposite. During the entire song both 'core' tracks of each melody fades out while each 'slave' track slowly fades in. This means the volume stays the same but they slowly swap sides and octave. The balance in the track remains exactly the same as all four even each other out: the low core of melody one and the low slave of melody two would both maintain a constant low sound on the left side while the high slave of melody one and the high core of melody two keep a constant high on the right. The only thing that changes is the sonic property of the song: melody one is a feedbacking electric guitar, melody two is a synth.

Now I did change some parts of the idea, mostly because I wasn't going to let anyone listen to a song of an hour in which hardly anything happens, so it's brought back to a little more then five minutes. Obviously things are much faster now and to counter that I brought in an ultra repetitive trance beat. The idea behind it is that it's repetitivinous should break down your perception of time and make it harder to remember how it sounded half a minute ago. To strengthed that effect a flanger is put over both tracks that goes slow enough to mask the core movevemt of both tracks. IMHO it worked quite well as you'll really need to concentrate to hear what's going on again.

To add to the idea I added an oriental sounding trumpet and a scary wailing synth (representing the train) which slowly starts to move out again. At the end both melodies have swapped place (passengers in the train moving out, people outside entering the train) and the train moves off. Obviously this is not for everyone, let that not hold you back to free your mouth. 8)

When the train comes in.

If you want to check if I'm not fooling you all listen to 0:35 and immediately skip forward to 4:15.

Posted : 14/12/2006 8:04 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

That may be the coolest thing I've heard all week . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 14/12/2006 8:15 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Very cool. This might sound weird, but I think I might have nightmares of being chased by a naked albino rhythmically crawling across the floor. I have absolutely nothing against albinos, it's just the image it conjured up for me. It was a very powerful piece.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 15/12/2006 2:02 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

well what else is in that mind of yours arjen :twisted: smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 15/12/2006 12:22 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Arjen

This is very strange a somewhat annoying but I like it.

It is very creative and evokes the feeling of a train station very well.

It reminds me of Tangerine Dream especially their stuff on The
Sorcerer soundtrack.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 16/12/2006 4:40 pm