Clear all

Alesis Multimix 8 USB

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've had unit since 3/1/07. Everything has been working fine and then Friday I started getting an error when I connected it to my computer about the USB device malfunctioning. I tried several USB ports, I rebooted with the device connected, I rebooted with it disconnected, basically every combination of the device on/off and computer on/off you can think of. I also tried connecting the device to my home PC (which it had never been connected to before) and received the same message. This confirms that I have not messed up the drivers or software on my laptop. I've sent a message to Alesis tech support, but was curious if anyone had run across this before and knew if there was a fix? The unit still functions 100% as far as the mixer goes. It's just the USB in/output that's not functioning.

Bass player for Undercover

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Could you post the error message? That would help a lot in troubleshooting. It does sound like you will need to take a trip back to the music store though.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

could it be the usb cord?

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Error Message: "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I will see if I can find another USB cable and give that a shot tonight, but I'm highly doubtful that's the problem. I ran across a review someone had written about the Multimix and he had mentioned the same problem happening several times.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Yup. Sounds pooched to me. I hope it's still under warranty. At least you should be able to get a replacement.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Since it is frustrating to find a forum post where someone has the same problem I have, but they never come back and post the solution, I'm going to post an update here for future readers (and those that offered help if they are curious).

I contacted Alesis support via e-mail and exchanged a couple of emails with the support tech. Support this way was very slow, it was almost like the tech could only send 1 email per day. Long story short, he recommended I send it in for service (it's been longer than a month so I can't return it to Sam Ash). I had to call to get the return details, which I should have just called in the first place. I have to ship it off to NJ and it will take 3-4 weeks. I guess getting it there is at my expense and they send it back using whatever method I used.

ReplyQuote