Am I gonna damage my amp?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I FINALLY got my mixer!!! It's the Behringer Euro UB1222FX-PRO. I wanted it for multiple reasons but, one of the reasons was so I could bypass my amps speaker and listen through my headphones.

I have the Fender HRD and the only way I can listen through my headphones without the amps speaker sounding is to un-plug the speaker and in its place put an open jack (1/8 in. female -to- ¼ in. male).

Am I gonna damage my amp by doing this?

It say's in the HRD manual that I have to insert an “open plug” in the “Main speaker” slot for “no speakers connected” configuration. Am I doing this correctly?

Thank You for any help,
Mike

(@armistice)

I don't know much about your amp but you can cook an amp simply by unplugging the speaker - doesn't it have a proper line out or effects loop? - I guess if the manual says it's OK it may be, but the general rule is don't unplug the speaker under any circumstances if you're playing.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: Am I gonna damage my amp by doing this? It sounds like you have a tube amp.

Yes, it will damage the amp. Tube amps are designed to have a load on them whether its a speaker, Dummyload, or Attenuator. Running the amp without any load will damage it. Output transformers can get pricey to have replaced.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Joe

When you say DummyLoad, do you mean an open plug (in my case I am using a 1/4in. male -to- 18in. female adapter as the "open plug")?

I have an "open plug" in the amp now. I get sound through my headphones but, I want to know if the amp will suffer in the long run because I have the open plug in it.

Thanks
Mike

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Stop that! An open plug is NOT a dummyload!

A dummyload is basically a resistor or resistive/inductive circuit that electrically speaking "looks" to the amp as would a speaker. A proper dummyload absorbs power in a manner and amount similar to the proper speaker. In the electronics design biz, many of us think of opens (your open plug) and shorts (a.k.a. short circuit) as signal reflectors or "electrical mirrors," because when one loads an electrical source (current, voltage, tube+transformer, transistor, AC, DC it doesn't matter), the power that would normally be transferred to and dissipated in the load (speaker, dummyload) is "reflected" back to and dissipated in the source, where it can stress the source components and sometimes results in damage due to overvoltage or overcurrent or simple overheating -- exact type and failure mechanism depends upon the source technology and whether one opens or shorts it. For example, output transformerless transistor power amps don't usually suffer damage if operated into an open circuit (but they aren't too crazy about shorts).

In your case, as Joe says, you are likely to burn out the output transformer if you run your amp into an open plug (no other load) and it's "turned up" sufficiently and you drive it hard enough. Again, stop that! Why does your amp manual suggest operation into an open plug? For some sort of test or adjustment? It can't be for playing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!!! I was thinking after I posted this that I should have put it in the Amps & EFX section but, with the mixer involved I thought this might be the place to find out if there was "another way" to do what I was tring to do.

Thanks Greg!, I only kept my amp @ 2-3 on volume and only played it like that for @ 5 minutes so hopefull nothing happened to my amp. I'll have to check tomorrow.

If I did do something to my amp, what are the types of things I should be looking for i.e. buzz, high pitch sound, something else?, or is it one of those "If it ain't got sound......it ain't workin'" type deals?

As far as the manual goes, it shows the speaker configurations that you CAN do (they should add a CAN'T section :oops: ). The third configuration says,

"*Insert an open plug (no speaker connected) for this configuration."

I interpit "open plug" as a, well............an OPEN PLUG!! What do they mean about an "open plug"?

I said to myself, "I have an open plug, the extra adapter for my headphones...... that's an open plug right, yup! go for it!!!"

:oops: :( :oops: :( :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll know if anything was wrong. Something to consider would be going here E-bay Attenuators, If you have the money Hotplates are great, even though the Altair PW-5 for that price will work just fine to start with. Connect it between the amp and speaker. run the line out into an Equalizer into the mixer.

You'll have some that will have difference of opinion when it comes to using them. I've use and experiment with many of them for many years. I've listed a few Altair, Power Soak, HotPlate, Rivera, Palmer, Rocktron Juice Extractor, Home made ones. After spending much time on my quest for tone, I've came to note that with the following equiment I could create that highly saught after cranked rock guitar sound and all I needed was a good all tube amp, equalizer, attenuator, speakers.

Joe

ReplyQuote