Clear all

Home Recording

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tricountytrail)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am going to start to record some audio tracks into my computer.
I have a Sound Blaster Live Platinum and a mixer already to go.
I will be recording one track to a wave file at a time.
What software is everyone using to mix these tracks after the fact?
Should I add my effects (vocal and guitar) before or after the final mix?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

This Forum Rocks!!!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction ...and sometimes a scar!

“Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever.”

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Lots of guys use Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to do stuff with because it's pretty good, and free.

Usually when you're in the 'tracking phase' where you're just laying down tracks, you leave the effects off because it gives you more control when you start mixing. Like if you record with what turns out to be too much reverb on a guitar track, you really can't take it off afterwards during the mix. In the mix you can add stuff, but can't really subtract stuff. Better to leave it 'dry' on the tracks, then, when you're mixing, add the effects the way you want.

There's lots of other, better programs for recording and mixing, but I'm sure others will chime in on their ideas.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the world of do it yourself recording!

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Demo, start with audacity. You'll get a feel for the features that are important to you and those that aren't. If and when you decide to buy some software, you'll know exactly what to look for.

Also, record dry. The only thing I might consider as a "dry" signal is tube distortion and if you don't have that, then totally clean is the way to go.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tricountytrail)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guitarnoise forum.
Yesterday recorded from my amp into my sound blaster Line in 2.
I used basic creative recording software. This was just a test, I recorded Guitar and vocals on a single track (.wav file). This weekend if time allows I will record just Guitar one one track, then just vocals on another.
I should me then able to mix these tracks (adding effects if required) setting desired levels and with CakeWalk Pro Audio 9.03 correct.
Anyone onboard use this software or have any recomendations?
I will be downloading Audacity also.

I have a Acoustic Guitar input to a V-amp 2 and lined it into the Aux input on my Behringer ACX1000 , Also lined in my laptop into the Aux in on the Vamp. Excellent sound. Very happy! Now I can still DJ with my laptop, have my acoustic with almost any effects I want, a vocal channel with effects built right into the amp, and still have another guitar channel for any extra player. The tape out (RCA Jacks) of my amp is connected to my Sound Blaster 2 Line In 2(RCA Jacks).

I also have a Power Mixer for my big PA, should I use this mixer to set the levels and effects then send this output to the Soundblaster?

Thanks for the help.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction ...and sometimes a scar!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

With the V-Amp2, you don't actually need an amp in the chain - you can go straight from the V-Amp to the line in of your soundblaster or mixer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tricountytrail)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

With the V-Amp2, you don't actually need an amp in the chain - you can go straight from the V-Amp to the line in of your soundblaster or mixer.

Thanks but if I use my tape out of the amp I can also record vocals if I want. :P

ReplyQuote