Clear all

Audacity, or Kristal?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Which do you use, or Which do you think is better?

Ive been thinking about downloading one or the other. Somebody actually mentioned it, and I thought that It was a pretty cool idea.

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Both.... I use Audacity to record because there is very little latency issues for me, but I like to mix with Krystal.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Both.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Audacity, mainly because its the only one I have.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Audacity, mainly because its the only one I have.

Ditto. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Audacity is much easier to use and record with, but Kristal's support for effects plug-ins is vastly superior. Even if you just want to add a touch of reverb, Kristal's the way to go. Also more robust for mixing tracks. Heck, it's free, so why not grab it?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

They're both free. Why not try both see which you prefer. You may find you use both depending on what you are trying to achieve. I haven't used Kristal myself but do use Audacity. I also use a couple of other programs on a regular basis. (I'm a recent Mac convert so use Garageband and Logic Express). You don't have to be tied to one.

As Slej said, if you just want a quick and easy recording use Audacity. If you need something a bit more complex then Kristal could be the one to use.

Both are highly recommended on these forums so you can't go far wrong with either.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys.
From what most of you said, i just decided to download both :D

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

You should be recording with Audacity in next to no time. Kristal, I'm guessing, may take a little longer to get used to all it's features but shouldn't be too difficult to get the basics sorted. Enjoy and looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labours. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I prefer Kristal over Audacity as it utilizes ASIO 2 drivers.
With my low-cost soundcards I get terrible latency/delay when doing multitrack recordings in Audacity.
Kristal with the free asio 2 driver Asio4All have no latency problems.
And Kristal also uses VST effects in the right way, compared to Audacity´primitive VST user interface.

But as many has said Kristal has a higher learning treshold as it is more like the Pro Sequencers (i.e. Cubase etc.).

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote