Clear all

Bass Recording Levels

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm brand new to recording bass tracks and have a couple of newbie questions regarding the process.
I'm plugging my bass into my computer through a Tascam audio interface and using Logic Xpress audio software.
The manual for the Tascam says:

'...If you wish to plug in a guitar, bass, or other high-impedance source, simply move the appropriate sliding switch to the GUITAR position.... Input level is regulated by the INPUT level controls. The INPUT level controls directly affect the input level at the A/D converters on the US-122, so its advisable to use the SIGNAL and OVER indi-cators to help set your levels. Unlike analog tape, when recording digital audio, its important to keep your input level close to 0dB, but never to exceed it. If the input level is too high, the audio signal will clip - not a desirable sound. If the input level is too low, then the dynamic range of which the US-122s A/D converters are capable is not being used, and the signal will be closer to the noise floor than it needs to be. In either case, this cannot be fixed after the tracks have been recorded, so itÕs important to make this adjustment carefully...'

So the same process as my guitar. But with my guitar, the input knob higher than about the mid point will show clipping occurring. With the bass (volume knobs on the guitar wide open), I can turn the input on the audio interface almost full out without any clipping being evident. Is this normal? Does it have anything to do with the frequency of the sound? Should I be trying to set the bass signal as close to the clipping point as possible?
Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Don

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Each instrument will have a different output level, according to pickups, active/passive wiring, etc.

Set the levels so you don't exceed that 0db. I don't know if your unit has level bars showing the levels as you're playing, but if so, set things so it's sorta midway between too low and clipping.

With tape, you can go into the red once in awhile with no problem, but with digital, it just sounds terrible - as you probably already know.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply, DemoEtc.!
That answers everything. 8)
The audio software shows a series of level bars that seem accurate, so I'll adjust the input signal, sort of midway, according to that.

Don

ReplyQuote