Recording with the computer?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I read elsewhere on the forum that you can plug the amp into the input jack of the pc to record directly. I can't get to the back of my pc without help and was wondering if it would work to plug the amp into the mic jack instead? I have one of those on the front of the pc. I don't want to fry anything by experimenting!

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Yes , you can record directly from an amplifier but not from the speaker outputs !!! If there is a line out jack or an effect send on your amp you can record to the mic input of your soundcard using the appropriate patch cord . It will be necessary to adjust the input level by opening the volume control of the computer . Right click on the speaker icon and you should see all the various sliders for adjusting audio . Start with your guitar amplifier set very low to begin with and adjust very slowly until you hear a sound come through your computer speakers . This may or may not give you the sound you want . If you have a good microphone , just set it in front of the guitar amp's speaker and plug it directly into the computer and record the actual sound of your amplifier . I assume you like the sound of your amp and that's the best way of capturing that sound .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Rec Out jack. Will that work? On the computer's volume control, there is a line in and a microphone slider. Which would I use if I am connected to the pc's mic jack? I don't have a good mic and usually there are other people here so there tends to be background noise. Thanks for the help!
Yes , you can record directly from an amplifier but not from the speaker outputs !!! If there is a line out jack or an effect send on your amp you can record to the mic input of your soundcard using the appropriate patch cord . It will be necessary to adjust the input level by opening the volume control of the computer . Right click on the speaker icon and you should see all the various sliders for adjusting audio . Start with your guitar amplifier set very low to begin with and adjust very slowly until you hear a sound come through your computer speakers . This may or may not give you the sound you want . If you have a good microphone , just set it in front of the guitar amp's speaker and plug it directly into the computer and record the actual sound of your amplifier . I assume you like the sound of your amp and that's the best way of capturing that sound .

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

The rec out jack is on your amplifier ? That sounds like another name for line out . That would be the one to use . As far as the inputs on your computer go , the mic slider is the one to use if you have something in the mic jack . It may be that you have another " line in " jack on the back panel of your soundcard besides the mic input on the front . Since you are looking at putting a line level signal into your computer , I would check to see if there is a "line in " on the rear panel first .

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, the rec out is on the amp. There is a line in jack on the back of the pc I think, but I can't really get to the back of the pc which is why I wanted to use the mic jack on the front.
The rec out jack is on your amplifier ? That sounds like another name for line out . That would be the one to use . As far as the inputs on your computer go , the mic slider is the one to use if you have something in the mic jack . It may be that you have another " line in " jack on the back panel of your soundcard besides the mic input on the front . Since you are looking at putting a line level signal into your computer , I would check to see if there is a "line in " on the rear panel first .

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Unfortunately , if you put a line level signal into the mic input it will distort badly . If you can't use the line in and you're not using a mic another solution would be to get a direct box . These are fairly inexpensive devices that transform signals of one device to match the requirements of the other . Whirlwind , Behringer and ART are just a few companies that make direct boxes . They can be found for around $20 U.S. Check out http://www.musiciansfriend.com for prices .

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've never heard of those. I'll look into it. I do plan to get a mic eventually, but one of these might be handy for when it is noisy around here. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately , if you put a line level signal into the mic input it will distort badly . If you can't use the line in and you're not using a mic another solution would be to get a direct box . These are fairly inexpensive devices that transform signals of one device to match the requirements of the other . Whirlwind , Behringer and ART are just a few companies that make direct boxes . They can be found for around $20 U.S. Check out http://www.musiciansfriend.com for prices .

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

One other thing you could do is plug a patch cord into the line input on the back of the computer and leave it plugged in all the time with the other end in some convenient spot . As long as the input level is fully off it shouldn't cause any problems when you aren't using it .

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A patch cord? Is that just the cord I would normally use to plug the amp into the pc? I have one that I use to plug my mp3 player into the amp and it seems to have the correct ends.

One other thing you could do is plug a patch cord into the line input on the back of the computer and leave it plugged in all the time with the other end in some convenient spot . As long as the input level is fully off it shouldn't cause any problems when you aren't using it .

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

All I do is place my mic about a foot in front of the amp.

If you want to do it that way, download this program called "Wavepad". Very easy to use.

ReplyQuote
(@trickywaters)

You wanna get yerself an audio soundcard cos yer PC's souncard will probably have loads of latency and unwanted noise in your recordings, i recommend the M AUDIO BLACK BOX mate .....

ReplyQuote