Building a Home Studio for decent recordings

33 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
11.7 K Views
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I actually connected my yamaha keyboard today via the USB (using yamaha midi usb driver) and it lets me record a midi track.

I was using the Sony AcidExpress 7 (freely available from acidplanet.com). I encountered a problem, however, which is really keeping me off the midi.

While I am at my keyboard, I am using the 'sustain on' permanently (as I don't have a damper pedal right now...will get it soon).

So, I am done recording a midi track. When I play it back either on the keyboard or in the computer's soft synth, it sounds WITHOUT sustain. This completely ruins the sonic beauty of the piece.

I am pretty sure there is something wrong being done by me? Can you guide me in this?

Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Probably not, Rahul! But I'll try.
Trust me, I'm no MIDI guru. When I posted 'Just get your head around the basics: using a MIDI keyboard to send data to your DAW recording software and then learning how to rudimentarily tweak that data', I was talking about myself as well. :lol:
But to start with 2 things:
'While I am at my keyboard, I am using the 'sustain on''...is that some button you're activating on the keyboard? If so, it may just be activating a different sound bank built into your keyboard as opposed to being sent as a MIDI instruction to the recording software.

In your recording software, is their a way to view the MIDI data as a list of 'events' or MIDI instructions that were sent by the keyboard?

If so, somewhere in the list (at the top I would think) would be a 'control' instruction that represents the sustain command. In this example, I played some notes and then used the sustain pedal, marked in magenta:

:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

There is a knob on my keyboard through which I can turn on the 'sustain'. It sounds correctly through the keyboard speakers, but not after midi is played back.

I would do the midi recording again tomorrow and tell you if I achieved any success.

Thanks for your help. Even though you are no expert on midi, I am a noob to recording on almost everything..lol :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3