Clear all

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone else use this software? I'm having a bit of trouble and Cakewalk Tech Support is not very supportive.

Here's my problem. When I am playing a track, it will just stop randomly. Happens when I record too. I hit play and it resumes, only to stop again. I'm pretty sure my system is up to the task of basic recording:

Windows XP Pro
2.8Ghz Pentium 4
1GB RAM
160GB HDD (7200RPM)

Plenty of room left on the hard drive. The most frustrating part of this is the randomness - I can't pin it to anything.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Do you get similar problems with any other programs, such as WinAmp or Windows Media Player? If not, it narrows the problem down to something that's happening within Cakewalk, rather than being system oriented.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member

Try disabling anything that runs in the background, like anti-virus software or spyware removal. For your protection, you MUST be behind a firewall or disconnect from the net when trying this.

I had similar issues with video editing that was solved by adding a second hard drive. I think it had something to do with competition between the editing program and the video files. In the end, I needed the space anyway. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think it's a Cakewalk issue as this doesn't happen with any other program, including Audacity.

I tried turning everything off - background and otherwise - to no avail. My hard drive has 65gb free space, which should be plenty.

It's all very frustrating at this point, but thanks for the suggestions. At this point I'll try anything that seems reasonable.

The thing that really bothers me is the lack of support. I've emailed tech support and gotten no response. Their phone support hours are very limited (M-F, 10-6 eastern) and the line is always busy or hold is interminable when I call. I'm sure Cakewalk has seen this before, but I can't get through to them to get an answer. :(

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try updating both audio and video drivers. Don't trust windows update to get the latest and greatest.

Also take a look at what is running using task manager. A lot of things will be running that you can't see. ituneshelper, adobe quick start, realschedule etc.

If you are connected to a network, try disconnecting and see if the problem persists. I see stuff like this happen when the wireless is polling.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

First, make sure you have current drivers across the board for every device in you computer from your motherboard on up.

Next, deinstall any VST plugins you're using.

Next, make sure you're using ASIO for your i/o.

Set up your virtual memory in Windows to use a fixed size and set it relatively high.

Defrag your drives.

Does it still happen?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I think I'm making progress. Here's the latest:

1. All drivers updated. I generally try to keep them as up to date as possible.
2. Disconnected network - no effect.
3. VST Plug-ins booted - no effect.
4. Using ASIO
5. Virtual Memory - set
6. Task Manager - here's where I made progress. I stopped a bunch of tasks that didn't seem to be needed. This seemed to do the trick! I played an entire 4 minute track with no random stops. Also tried some looping and let it run for about 5 - 6 minutes and again - no stopping. Now comes the tedious part. I need to restart, go back to task manager and shut down processes one at a time to find the offender. Could take awhile.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I finally got it! After all the tinkering I did had no effect, I went on a search mission into the bowels of the help file. Lo and behold, I found a hidden (ok, not really hidden, I just missed it) section on audio dropout and other related issues. The problem was solved by doubling my I/O Buffer Size to 128KB (from 64). Once I did this all my problems disappeared.

Again, thanks for all your help. Case Closed!!

Steve

ReplyQuote