Clear all

First Time Recording Help

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I finally reached the point where I feel the need to record my material, and seeing as how my bank account just got a little boost I feel it's time to invest in some recording gear.

Trouble is I have no idea where to start. I am really looking for something simple and effective. I just want to plug in my guitar, push record, lay down the tracks, and then have then have them recorded so I can edit and mix later. What's the most effective way to do this?

Also, I love the sound of my Hot Rod DeVille. So I'm guessing I'm gonna have to pick up a mic to capture that beauty. Any recommendations for an efficient microphone for a 4X10 guitar cabinet.

Seeing as how I'm just going to be recording the signal from a microphone is it possible to buy some cheap conversion box that I can plug the mic into and then plug that into my computer and record to some cheap or free software?

Thanks for any and all help.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just to show you guys where I'm at, this is the kind of stuff I've been looking at:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506

Anyone familiar with this piece?
Is Cubase fairly good software?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member

I'm in the same boat as you and actually posted that I was thinking about getting the Omega model, I think it just has more inputs.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

http://www.tweakheadz.com

check out this site. tons of info, gear, ideas, how to's.

I use Cubase. it came with a digital interface I bought to start my recording experience. next was a mic. I read that a Shure SM57 is in every studio. it is a good dynamic mic for amps. some like it for vocals. not me.
I use a wide diaphram condenser for vocals and miking my resonator (works great).
sometimes I mic the amp, but lately I have been plugging into an amp modeler. those work really well .

my system is basic and not expensive. I will upgrade to better gear eventually.
I began with a powerful computer and a good soundcard. the PC I ordered had a soundblaster card put in it. I am happy with that.
next. I got the Lexicon Lambda digital interface. it makes everything easier IMO.
like I said, it came with the basic Cubase recording program. I have since upgraded to Cubase Essential 4, mainly because I bought ezdrummer and wanted to ultilize Drag and Drop to create drum tracks.
I also picked up a 25 key midi keyboard controller. having that to work some of the VST instruments or plugins is great fun.

I use inexpensive monitors and some headphones someone laid on me.
those two things need to be upgraded.

my advice is to start simple. learn the program and then you will understand what and how to upgrade.

tweakheadz.com helped me a lot.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Do yourself a favor and check out Reaper. I went through Cubase and Audacity and stayed frustrated until I found Reaper.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Do yourself a favor and check out Reaper. I went through Cubase and Audacity and stayed frustrated until I found Reaper.

What do you like about Reaper as compared to Audacity?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

What do you like about Reaper as compared to Audacity?

It is just more intuitive. Audacity is nice, especially for the price. The biggest thing for me though was that Audacity doesn't natively support VST intruments. Reaper does. I was purchasing Addictive Drums and it wouldn't work with Audacity (at least without a bunch of glue and duct tape).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

[quote="jwmartinThe biggest thing for me though was that Audacity doesn't natively support VST intruments. Reaper does.

Oh, I see. I don't know anything about VST; heard of it but I don't know what it is.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@robertwsimpson)
Eminent Member

I use Reaper and a Blue Snowball mic. I couldn't be happier with the results or the price (Reaper is free kind of, and the mic was under $100). Makes good noise.

ReplyQuote