Clear all

Fostex VF-80

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey guys... im currently looking for a multitrack recorder, and i had someone offer me a fostex vf-80 for $350 plus shipping... he says he hasnt used it much and that it comes with the adapter and original instruction manual... it comes with the integrated 20 gig hard drive, but this particular one doesnt have the optional CD burner... nor does this model have a drum machine... those are two things i'd LIKE to have, but i dont need either of them... i play mostly acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, so i'd prolly not need the drums at all... and the convenience of having the burner integrated COULD become just a hassle... it has MIDI and RCA outs, plus a 1/4" output... so i was wondering what i could run it out to to copy the music that i DO record onto CD... but anyway... does it sound like a good deal for the price? this is someone ive corresponded with online... and plus he says he'll split shipping with me... i know there's a VF-80 on Ebay (or at least there was last night) with a buy it now price of $525... but thats kinda outta my price range (so is this, but it sounds like a pretty good deal, especially since im torn as to whether i really WANT the integrated burner, depending on how easy it is to use...) anyways, i was just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular digital multitrack and if the price is right... thanks y'all.

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The price seems a good deal, but you need to know that, without the CD drive (which you can buy seperately, but it's overpriced at $300, and looks to be going off the market. I wonder if you can use a cheap computer CD-drive?) transferring the song data to burn a CD is complicated by the lack of a USB or Firewire connection. You would need to transfer the sound through normal RCA cables, like on a stereo (which would require recording to some other device, like tape), or through an S/P-DIF connection. The S/P-DIF connection is a high quality digital connection that you may on may not have on your computer, but could add as part of a new sound card. This is more complicated than simply dragging a .wav file onto a CD, unfortunately, but do-able. If you go to Fostex.com, you can download the manual and look at page 96 for instructions on file transfer. This probably would be a lot easier the second time you do it than the first, but does require some, slight computer savy.
Just something to consider. They really should have put a USB port on this, but I guess they wanted to sell those CD drives.

ReplyQuote
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yeah... well im a PC technician, so i could figure out the whole connectivity thing... no matter how ya slice it, it'd be better to have the CD drive... im still thinking about it... i'd really like to start recording, but i dont NEED the VF-80, but for the money, i think its my best bet... we shall see... i really hate that theres no USB or Firewire (or even a good scsi) port on it, or as you said, i'd just get an external burner (which i'd rather have anyway... i hear the fostex one is slow...) but i'll just keep thinkin bout it. Thanks.

ReplyQuote