Clear all

Getting rid off noise

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'am currently recording my music by mic'ing my amp......but no matter what i try to do i seem to get a fuzz noise everytime i place my amp too close to my computer or turn my guitar's volume up to high....when u unhook the microphone form the mic slot on my PC I don't get any of this noise.....does anyone know why this is happening and what I could do to stop this...? thnx

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

(@eclips3)
Eminent Member

Not all devices are screened/shielded properly for music recording. The best known devices to me are monitors and CD-devices. Try turning off your screen when you're recording and see if this helps (does for me) if the noise is still there you need help from someone more experienced than me. :D

Hope this helps

E

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Could be from the radiation from the monitor. Move the amp away from it.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

unless this noise is corrupting your tone a noise gate will solve this problem. Most recording software has a noise gate that you can set to a certain limit wiping away any sound below a certain volume or tone.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@keith-moore)

The advice above is best, get the amp away from the monitor. But if you can't do that you could find a recording program, Pro-Tools, Logic (my current setup), or whatever to record your parts and remove the excess noise before and after the tracks. Depends on the part, though...if it's a quiet part where you hear the noise all the way through then you're in trouble. But sometimes I'll record a rockin' solo that's perfect except for the buzz when I finish playing. I use Logic to bring up the audio track and go to silence immediately after the last note.

http://www.keith-moore.net
Jam tracks, stories and
giant, killer teddy bears.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Audacity has a decent noise removal tool. Just record some "silence" before or after your playing to train the noise filter what noise sounds like. Also, try being judicious in removing the noise, if you set the threshold too high you will get some squealing artifacts.

ReplyQuote
(@furious_b)
Eminent Member

That buzzing is actully pretty easy to get rid of. You just need to EQ it. If you don't have a outboard equalizer then try to find one on your computer (the program you use to play your audio files probably has one) If it's buzzing you need to cut some of the higher frequecies, The thing you really want is high end roll off also called shelving.

ReplyQuote
(@neontomx)

If you're getting noise it could be several things: First of all, if your guitar has single coil pickups and you have your gain turned up on your amp, you're going to get hum. That will usually always be there unless you want to EQ it out by cutting some of the low frequencies. I doubt that is what your problem is. Your computer's monitor causes electromagnetic interference with the pickups. You can get around this by either turning off your monitor while recording or playing your guitar far away from the computer and having someone else control the computer for you. Also, buy shielded cables for your guitar and for your microphone, that will help some.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

An expander can work very well if the noise isn't overpowering the notes you play. For rhythm guitar, I've found that compressing and then expanding (which sound like they would cancel each other out, but don't) gives a very clean sound. I usually get a very clean sound by placing my computer in my amp's effects loop. That way I get it through a preamp, record, and can hear what the effects I've applied sound like.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Magix audio studio has a noise filter that takes a 250ms (default, you can change the time length) sample of the noise and cancells it out of the track. Works very well. You can also save noise samples and tweak them too. But really you should just turn off the monitor while recording. You can also get a lcd monitor, they don't cause electromagnetic interference like a crt monitor. Florescent lights are another culpret, turn them off.

Florescent lights and cathode ray tubes emit alot of electromagnetic radiation and that can induce a current in wiring, that interferes with the signal and is amplified/recorded along with your signal.

ReplyQuote