Good, inexpensive mic or webcam?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I want to have a way to record and play back my playing and singing (mostly the singing though) so I can critique it as well as upload it so you guys can see.

Do most webcams have good enough sound for my purposes? Being able to upload vids to youtube or whatever might be fun, but I hate the cracking at high volumes and other problems associated with them. However, it's not like I need perfect sound quality either, I just really want a reference so I can see what my playing sounds like and iron out the wrinkles...

If I should go for the mic, what's an inexpensive mic that I can use directly with my pc?

thanks

(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member

So I want to have a way to record and play back my playing and singing (mostly the singing though) so I can critique it as well as upload it so you guys can see.

Do most webcams have good enough sound for my purposes? Being able to upload vids to youtube or whatever might be fun, but I hate the cracking at high volumes and other problems associated with them. However, it's not like I need perfect sound quality either, I just really want a reference so I can see what my playing sounds like and iron out the wrinkles...

If I should go for the mic, what's an inexpensive mic that I can use directly with my pc?

thanks

Noff, I don't think most webcams have nearly good enough mics for what you would want, but if you just want a very general idea what your singing sounds like, it'd be ok. Mine webcam's mic is decent, but I certainly wouldn't use it to record my actual vocals for a track. The mic I have is a Peavey (can't remember the exact model off the top of my head) and every review I've read on it people say it's better than the Shure 57(which is considered an industry staple), at about half the price. Anyway, hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

how about this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/blue_snowball.htm it has a usb cable so you can plug straight in to your computer.

if you have an interface which allows you to plug slr or jack leads in, then you might wanna try the shure sm58 instead.

edit: the comany for the mic I've linked to is called Blue. If you google (or search the thomann.de site) for Blue Mic you'll get a heap of responses, and they're a fairly big comany in the microphone market.

plus, they look darn kewl. 8)

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

how much do you want to spend?
if you are serious about setting up a home studio then you don't have to spend very much. i would however consider spending as much as you can afford to avoid replacing parts later.

this will get you started on the cheap
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-USB24M-USB-microphone?sku=272015
if you already have a nice soundcard you might want to get a small mixer, or a 4 track recorder and go with a xlr mic like the behringer xm8500, which is a fantastic mic for the money
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@muchojackdaniels)

Dude, which one do want to record, audio and/or video?

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Decided not to bother with any kind of video. I don't really care too much about what the youtube peanut gallery thinks. :)

My sound card is decent enough, but I need to double check that the mic input works. I remember having problems with it before. Hopefully it's a software thing, I'd hate to have it be something wrong with the card. Might have even forgot to hook something up, it's been years since I built this rig.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I'd spend a bit more and invest in a small mixer (Behringer have a good range at a good price - either the Xenyx or Eurorack) and a reasonable mic (Thomann have a good range).

The mixers have mic amps and phantom supply built in, so that you can use both condenser and dynamic mics. You can also plug your guitar directly into the mixer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

The Samson C01 mic's are the ones I prefer now certainly for capturing accoustic performance with voice using only 1 mic .

About £35.00 ish unless you want the USB version c01U and then its about £50.00 ish , excellent mics for the money .

If you have been looking at some of the better vids on youtube , that mics a bit of a fav there too , much , much better than a webcam mic and your Voice AND guitar will sound as anyone in the room would hear it .

Best money Ive ever spent on mic's

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Cheap, but good results?

Behringer XM8500 Mic

Behringer UB802 Mixer

I've owned both and worked very well for a simple setup. Mic your amp, run it into the mixer, mixer into your current soundcard, and you've got a good enough setup for basic recording.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote