Notifications
Clear all

Got the mic, now what?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@duncan)
Topic starter  

Hey, I have a shure SM57, a mic stand, 20' of XLR cable, and an XLR to 1/8" adaptor.  I have all this plugged into the microphone input of my soundblaster live 5.1 soundcard.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to record!!!!  Obviously I don't want to use the sound recorder program in windows.  However, I did try to use sound recorder to record a test sample but it didn't work.  What's wierd is that AFTER I started the program, when I spoke into the mic I heard sound, after this I hit the record button but nothing was recorded and I couldn't hear myself through the speakers anymore.  I have a freeware copy of cubasis inwired and cooledit 2.0 pro.  Do you guys have any recomendations on how to get this to work?  If so I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Ever notice how people look at you funny when you're walking down the street and jiggling your fingers while going, "Naaar Naiiieer Naaaaeer Nira Neeeeear Neaur."?

(@alangreen)

Hi, Duncan,

You might need to specify the Input Source so that the software records what is coming in through the mic input rather than (say) the MIDI port.

Secondly, the mic outputs at Line level, so once you get it into your PC you need to Normalise the sound by somewhere between 50% and 100% depending on your kit. Otherwise, it's still going to be a very faint sound.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

You could also make sure you're plugging into the mic input. right click the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner. Click open volume controls/options/properties/recording/select mic/ select 10db boost. If this make sure that it isn't muted. Make sure the volume is up. If the mic input doesn't work for you. Select line input and use that.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@duncan)
Topic starter  

the mic input worked!
But isn't the line input supposed to work better or something?

Ever notice how people look at you funny when you're walking down the street and jiggling your fingers while going, "Naaar Naiiieer Naaaaeer Nira Neeeeear Neaur."?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, it will with a line level signal. Your not using a line level signal. Sorry but just plugging into a sound card dosen't work for myself. If your looking a getting a great quality sound then I would recomend getting a small mixer or pre=amp designed just for that propose.

Just my thoughts.

I haven't tried this software but for free maybe worth a look
Pro Tools FREE Software for Windows

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Joe,
Why'd you shoot yo' old lady?  I mean... would you recommend any starter level mixers or pre-amps for this purpose.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Well I'm a fan of an older TOA D-4 mixer it's like the swiss army knife of rack mixers and it looks like patchbay on the back. meaning it gives you lots of options for plugging things into it. There are many company's now that offer small mixers, I wouldn't even be able to touch the surface on naming them.

As for pre-amps they make so many today that I haven't been able to keep up with them. Many of the newer guitar pre-amps will have a matched line out to plug into anything that offers a line in. It will give you a better sound transfer. and less noise.

Hope this helps.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

There's quite a few of those Toa's on e-bay.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote