Clear all

Hearing output of mic input in real time

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all - got a little recording question for you. I recently got a 1/8" - 1/8" chord so I can go from my amps headphone output to the line in on my computer. I can record find, but I was wondering if it is possible to hear live output of what is going to the line in, without having to record. I ask because I think it would be very helpful to be able to adjust my amp settings without having to make an adjustment, record a little bit, stop, play back the recording, make more adjustments, and continue to repeat until I get what I want. Is it possible to just plug headphones into the computers headphone jack, and not only record, but also hear what is being recorded?

Also, is it normal to have to turn the amps volume just about off to avoid a ton of distortion on the clean channel? I have to turn the amp way down to just about 0, and also have to reduce the line in volume way down as well, and I still sometimes get a little bit of breakup on the clean channel.

Thanks!

-jon

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

On the depending the software you use in the computer you can do it. I use Cubase and GarageBand and both allows to monitorize the recording. I can use the computer speakers or a headphones connected to the computer (usually the second). If not, there are some cables known as "splitters". Perhaps they can help you. I never used it for recording.

The second question. Yes, it could be normal. If you are using an output for "headphones" usually they offer a high output. My amp has two outputs: a "headphone" output and a "line out" output. I don't use them for recording currently but when I did it, I got similar experiences if I used the "headphone" output.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I usually use audacity to record. Will that allow monitoring of the output? Is there any software for windows that would let me do this? If not, the splitter doesn't look overly pricey, so that would be ok. Thanks,

-jon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, Audacity also allows monitoring of the output. I forgot it, sorry. :?

There is an option in the Preferences dialog in which you can select the playback device. Verify it is Ok. Select the option "Monitor input". In my copy (Mac) it is in a menu (you select it push an arrow) near to a mic, in the "vu-meters" zone.

In general, it is better you use the monitoring option because if you modify the guitar sound with an effect in the PC, you can not hear the final sound if you use the splitter.

Try it, if you don't find the option I can take a snapshot in my program.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I found the monitor output, and it does give my the meters of what is being played, so it shows clipping, but I can't actually hear any output through my speakers or headphones - is that normal?

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

No, it isn't. Try to change the values of the simulated pots. I think the right one is the gain (the mic) and the left one is for the output (speaker). I had to change it when I was checking the procedure in my previous post.

Also, try to review the options in the Preferences dialog, something as "Built-in audio" must be selected as playback device. Review the Windows options in the Control Panel for checking what device is selected as default audio.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What do you mean change the values of the simulated pots? When I play something without recording, only the input level monitor moves, but then when I go to record, both move, and I do hear what is being put into the mic. Not sure what other settings I can change to get this to work. Any other thoughts? Thanks again,

-jon

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok...weird - its now working. I have no idea what I changed, but I will try to backtrack and figure it out for anyone else who may have the same problem...

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great! 8)

About the pots. There are a couple of linear pots, one has a mic and the other a speaker. I mean perhaps the level were too low and they had to be adjusted.

On the other hand, the tracks has a "mute". It must be unselected to hear it. Perhaps it was selected initially.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Figured out what was wrong - in the preferences, I had to put a check in the option for "Software Playthrough". Once that is done, I am able to hear what is going through, although the problem now is that there is a pretty noticeable delay, but I would imagine that can't be fixed? So, I may now get a splitter so I can hear what I am playing, but at least now I will be able to set an appropriate volume in Audacity to make sure I don't get an unwanted clipping.

All these wires are starting to make my work area look like a little recording studio! :) Thanks for the help Nuno :D

-jon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You are welcome! :D

It's true, I've both options checked (Hw and Sw Playthrough). Sorry, I forgot to comment it. I don't remember if they are checked by default.

The delay is refered as "latency" and it is the time needed by the ADC to digitalize the signal (ADC - Analog to Digital Converter). It is one of the features of the ADC's. As you are using your sound card, it will not be so quick.

I use two external devices: a Zoom G2.1u (it is also a multi-effects pedal) or a Audio Kontrol 1 (basically, an external audio card with several things more). Both are USB devices and convert the signal before to send it to the computer. They has specific hardware for this kind of operations.

They are more expensives than the splitter but they also have more features. Maybe for the future or for the Xmas list! :D

BTW, my splitter is Belkin but it isn't the model I posted, I think a previous one. My model are two wires and three mini-jack connectors (two females and one male). I was 4 or 5 € some years ago, it could be 4 or 5 US$.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi -jon
The delay(latency) problem in Audacity is difficult to avoid when using standard PC Soundcards and standard Windows sound drivers.
But if you change recording SW to Kristal Audio Engine and use the ASIO2 sound driver Asio4All (they are free) you will not have these delay problems.
/Kalle Sandberg

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Kalle - kristal is pretty awesome! It, along with the ASIO4All drivers fixed the latency problem. It is also great fun to mess around with all the effects it can do. Thanks for the help guys :D

ReplyQuote