Notifications
Clear all

How do I reduce the 'Ts' and 'Ss' in recording

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kliffee)
Topic starter  

I understand there is a way to cut down on the SSSSSS and TTTTTT when recording vocals. For example, if a line ends with an S or a T, how do you keep it from being too ssssss and tttt. understand? thanks!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@kliffee)
Topic starter  

thanks but we already use a spit screen

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is called sibilance and you need a processor to cut it.

TC Helicon makes one, but you can usually find older vocal processors on ebay that will do the job for a lot less.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you are recording digitally, you should be able to find software tools to do the job. I know I can do it in Cool Edit Pro II (now Adobe Audition), and I'm sure there must be plug-ins available for soft-studios.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Essentially you should be able to eliminate a lot of it using eq or a combination of fast compression and eq. The sibilance occurs at around 7-10Khz. So by reducing the gain there you may be able to pull some of that sibilance back. If you use a compressor with an immediate attack to bring down the initial plosive then eq after, you may be able to get rid of the ssss's. Doing it this way will effect the over all tone of the track though, which is why there are processors which are designed to do this with as little footprint as possible. If you are using a program that supports VST effects, you should be able to download a de esser. Try http://kvraudio.com

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://www.transom.org/tools/basics/200303.eq.towne.html

Yes sibilance. Too much typing, not enough spell checking.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I just chuck a beanie hat over the mike - seems to deal with most things.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I understand there is a way to cut down on the SSSSSS and TTTTTT when recording vocals. For example, if a line ends with an S or a T, how do you keep it from being too ssssss and tttt. understand? thanks!

Everybody's posted tips for after the damage is done, but the best way is to prevent the problem in the first place.

1. Have the singer practice on not hissing the sssss, thumping the T's, and popping the p's so much.

2. Mike placement can help. Try having the singer sing slightly off axis to the mike ( not much! just a little! )

3. If all else fails, use a de-esser.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm with Moonrider here. Everyones tips were great, but try to stop it before you get to the extra stages.

Some things I've learnt -

First, don't stand “too” close to the mic. Second, don't enunciate as much and learn to cut off the sound before it becomes a problem.

Most of the time it's the “P's” and “S's”.

One thing I've learned is it doesn't take much to be heard through a mic, so try not to go overboard with anything and if you need to "belt" something out, back off from the mic a little. Do tests with a pair of headphones (out of your mixer) to hear what you sound like before you hit the record button.

Sing it, and then correct what needs to be corrected. By that, I mean check to see what you sound like through the headphones.

That is said, thinking you have a proper set up. So, what is your set up? i.e. - What mic? EQ set up? Are you clipping? Are you using effects? Are you recording to a sound card?

Mike

ReplyQuote