I need help with some gear.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Basically here is my story.

I have a couple of acoustics I want to record along with vocals.

I also have a Tech21 Trademark 30 which has the sansamp recording out option.

I want to know all the stuff I would need to record these things

1) Vocals
2) Acoustic Instruments
3) tube amp miced (Epi Valve Jr. and Fender HRDx )
4) and the necessary cables I need to record with my Tech21 amp.

I know almost absolutely nothing about what all I would need and I am seriously in the market for some decently nice gear for recording.(i.e. not the priciest but not the cheapest either)

I would appreciate any help I could get from you guys.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

(@maxx)
Eminent Member

Hope you're still watching your post here Flashback. I've been pretty busy, and haven't had a chance to reply. Sorry...

I'm guessing that the reason nobody has attempted to answer your post yet is that it's just a bit too general. Nobody can just tell you "what you need to record with". There are too many factors to consider. Someone mentioned something in a previous thread about "being armed to ask the right questions". For that I always recomend tweakheadz.com. Take some time to sit down and read his tutorials. You'll walk away feeling like a guru before you even buy your first mixer!

Let us know what you come up with. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would suggest that the first thing you need is a mixer with mike pre-amps, such as a Behringer UB1002 and at least one good mike, such as a Shure SM57 (Behringer has a less-robust clone at about 1/2 the price), which will work for voice, acoustic and tube amp recording. You'll want a mike stand with boom arm - this will allow you to record voice, acoustic and get down low enough to record from the amp.
The cables you'll need are an XLR cable for the mike and a cable to connect the mixer to the PC soundcard. I have one, which has two 1/4" mono jacks on one end (connected to "Main Out") going to one 1/8" stereo jack on the other ( connected to "Line In" on the sound card).
I have no idea what kind of connection the Tech21 has for "recording out", but it's probably going to be either 1/4" jack (a normal guitar cable will work) or XLR (so another mike cable). Both 1/4" jack and XLR sockets are available on the Behringer mixer.
All you'll need then is the recording software - Audacity and Kristal are both usable and free.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote