Clear all

mic noise on recordings

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

okay i am using my mac and garage band with my m-audio fasttrack and a dynamic mic to record with. I am running the mic through my 15 watt amp into the fasttrack sytem and then into the computer. When I do this I get a sort of a white noise behind the vocal recordings. I figure that it is the amp that is causing this, but if i just plug directly into the fastrack and into the computer it is not loud enough, how can i fix this? thanks alot!

Special K

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Garageband has a great compression plugin. Use it. Ditch the amp between the fastrack and your mic. Definitely the source of the noise. You can crank the compression slider without doing any major damage to your track. In fact it's just a nice warm sounding compressor and they seem to have worked it so that you can't mess it up. One parameter, one slider: either you get "more" or "less". I wish all plugins were as easy to use.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks for the reply i moved the compressor slide forward about 1/3 of the way and the gate switch to about 3/4... this got rid of the sound when im not singing but when i am its still there... if i take the amp out of the equationb how can i make it louder?

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Plug your mic directly into the Fasttrack. It has a built in preamp. Plugging into tha amp just adds noise and distortion and that's it. If you want distortion effects, use the guitar plugins in garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow, i feel like an idiot, i realized what the problem was, i have a patch chord the one side you plug the mic into and the other is 1/4"... running it through fastrack like this doesint pre amp it, so all i have to do is buy a mic cable without the 1/4 " jack on one end... thanks for all the help guys

Special K

ReplyQuote