Clear all

mic stands

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I thought I'd call around yesterday to a few stores in my area to see if anyone had a mic stand that could mount to like a desk and apparently this isn't a common item because no one had one, was wondering what you guys use? I was hoping to get something that I could mount to my desk and then adjust it to a lower position to mic my acoustic guitar but then also be able to adjust it up high for just vocals... I'll probably have to just get a regular mic stand that sits on the floor?

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I thought I'd call around yesterday to a few stores in my area to see if anyone had a mic stand that could mount to like a desk and apparently this isn't a common item because no one had one, was wondering what you guys use? I was hoping to get something that I could mount to my desk and then adjust it to a lower position to mic my acoustic guitar but then also be able to adjust it up high for just vocals... I'll probably have to just get a regular mic stand that sits on the floor?

I've got a couple of these that work just fine for me . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

how much did you pay? I got one pretty much just like that in a store local to me and it was like 48$ after tax..

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

how much did you pay? I got one pretty much just like that in a store local to me and it was like 48$ after tax..

I got the "On Stage" brand, $19.99. Of course, I needed 6 at one time, since I play in a band and also recently started being a karaoke host.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hm, yeah I might buy a sm57 today, so i'd need another stand so I can record with both my mics at the same time, gonna have to find another stand for cheaper..

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I use the same stand as Moonrider. one cost under fifty. there is a heavy duty model that is a lot more.
this stand is able to point a mic at anything. I use it for my lap resonator; the mic points down. the reach of the stand
keeps every thing out of my way. I can reach the record button, my guitar stand w/o getting up.
it saves time when doing many takes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

hm, yeah I might buy a sm57 today, so i'd need another stand so I can record with both my mics at the same time, gonna have to find another stand for cheaper..

You might want to take a look at the Sennheiser E series mics also. The e315s, e225s, and e335s are all lower priced than the 57, and good rugged live mics too. I love my battered Shures, but the Sennheisers don't have the mid-range response "hump" the Shures do. The flatter frequency response may make your life easier when going for that perfect take.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Did you look for a short stand that they use for kick drums? I have one with a small round base and a 6" post.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Most stands seem to be a fairly simple arrangement of tubes, clamps and rubber end pieces. So the difference between a tall one and a more all round compact one might be as simple as five minutes work with a hacksaw.

The first one I bought was a cheapie and it only last a week or two before the crummy casting fractured. Poor quality ones can go all droopy on you too...

After reading a recommendation somewhere, on a "Your favourite bit of gear that you wouldn't want be without.." type thread I lashed out and bought one made by K & M. The guy at the shop said that, yes, buy that one and you only need to buy once... So far it's lived up to the reputation.

K & M

A range of styles and options there to ponder.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Radio Shack used to have some similar to these for pretty cheap.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@chasembrown)
Trusted Member

I just bought one for 29.99 at Woody's music in Rock HIll, and it is fairly decent (has a sturdy boom).

http://www.myspace.com/chasembrown
http://www.myspace.com/senselessbeats

ReplyQuote